A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A/C wont get cold at all

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C wont get cold at all

2008 s6 v10. I have never had the ac blow cold at all. I've turned the thermostat to "LO" but that has little to no effect on what actually comes out of the vents.
I'm assuming the "ECON" button is the A/C version in this model. Is that incorrect?

Suggestions? get one of the diy kits?

Its been pretty hot recently and I would like to stop driving with the windows down to get any sort of cooling effect.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had a very positive experience with a diy kit, but my ac was blowong cool air it just wasn't as cold as it should be.

Have you tried pulling codes to see what may be wrong?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jeffpuxx
I just had a very positive experience with a diy kit, but my ac was blowong cool air it just wasn't as cold as it should be.

Have you tried pulling codes to see what may be wrong?
I haven't yet. I will do that shortly. Thank you Do you have any specific kits you suggest? A/C pro work ok?
Old 05-18-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used A/C Pro. Seemed to have good reviews. Have to really read reviews well though. Some people think that these kits will make everything work. If there is a problem with the system then its not going to work. I liked the longer hose length.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jeffpuxx
I used A/C Pro. Seemed to have good reviews. Have to really read reviews well though. Some people think that these kits will make everything work. If there is a problem with the system then its not going to work. I liked the longer hose length.
OK thank you I'll run it and go from there.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is the ECON light on? (Indicates A/C is turned off)

Or does it come back on after trying to turn it off? (Indicates a fault with the system - low pressure/hi pressure)

What engine is it? I have a 4.2 and the compressor seized up, I can't get mine working as the whole system is contaminated with metal flakes from the compressor and would be well over £1000 to repair.

Carl,
Old 05-21-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you pull the codes as you mentioned above icewolf? I wouldn't rush into buying a regassing kit without checking via vcds first, as it could be your system has plenty of gas but has a G395 air on pressure sensor issue, making the A/C compressor not switch on as the faulty sensor tells the car there's no gas in the system.

Worth a quick scan if if it helps prevent you needlessly paying for an aircon gas kit.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I don't really use the econ mode.

Originally Posted by CJackel492
Is the ECON light on? (Indicates A/C is turned off)

Or does it come back on after trying to turn it off? (Indicates a fault with the system - low pressure/hi pressure)

What engine is it? I have a 4.2 and the compressor seized up, I can't get mine working as the whole system is contaminated with metal flakes from the compressor and would be well over £1000 to repair.

Carl,
It's the 5.2. I haven't scanned the codes yet but I will. I hope I won't have to pay anything close to that.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default That makes sense.

Originally Posted by Sverige
Did you pull the codes as you mentioned above icewolf? I wouldn't rush into buying a regassing kit without checking via vcds first, as it could be your system has plenty of gas but has a G395 air on pressure sensor issue, making the A/C compressor not switch on as the faulty sensor tells the car there's no gas in the system.

Worth a quick scan if if it helps prevent you needlessly paying for an aircon gas kit.
I understand why. And no I haven't. Do you have any idea as to the ballpark of a repair like that?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Icewolf
2008 s6 v10. I have never had the ac blow cold at all. I've turned the thermostat to "LO" but that has little to no effect on what actually comes out of the vents.
I'm assuming the "ECON" button is the A/C version in this model. Is that incorrect?

Suggestions? get one of the diy kits?

Its been pretty hot recently and I would like to stop driving with the windows down to get any sort of cooling effect.

Thanks in advance
ECON light has to be off (not lit) for the AC to work. Make sure the ECON light is off and then set it to LO. If it still doesn't blow cold then you need to go the other route(s) as you were discussing above.

Quick Reply: A/C wont get cold at all