A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

C6 RS6 Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if is not plug and play, what changes need to be made. I have the wheel, but not the airbag yet. I have seen on S/A4's there is a pin change required for the Multi function features to work. Was it the same on this?
Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'll write up a tutorial and post it up.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That will be great.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

By the way, the C6 RS6 steering wheel is different than the TT steering wheel. The RS6 has the air leather (perforated) and is shaped noticeably more aggressively.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You can get air leather in the TT style too, but I prefer the smooth leather for comfort which is why I opted for this variant. Also yes the RS6 wheel has more contouring, but I got this setup for half the price
Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Pinout table which I put together:

Old 09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for that. I did mine over the weekend, and I took a differnt approach. I swapped the S6 airbag harness onto the R8 airbag. All I had to do was change the spade crimps for the horn and grounds(there are 2 grounds on the R8 bag, 1 on the s6 so you need to make a "y" connector) Strange that for me, no re-wiring was required withing the connector. Simply swapped harnesses and plugged in the connector and everything worked fined. All MF buttons, lights and paddles etc. All said and done, once I had all the tools ( like a T55 torx bit to get the wheel nut off that I had to go and buy) Probably 20 mins of work. Super simple mod, and looks killer. Now I need some RS6 Pedals.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A6 question

Hey guys I just purchased my first audi 2 weeks ago an 06 A6, my question is what would be the easiest way for me to do this mod as I have no experience with things of this nature but really want this mod, I do not have paddle shifters on my vehicle is that an issue?. Ideally I would like to just buy exactly what I need and pay someone to do it for me, can you guys tell me exactly where to buy the steering wheel I need and explain the issue with the airbags? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cespinal
Hey guys I just purchased my first audi 2 weeks ago an 06 A6, my question is what would be the easiest way for me to do this mod as I have no experience with things of this nature but really want this mod, I do not have paddle shifters on my vehicle is that an issue?. Ideally I would like to just buy exactly what I need and pay someone to do it for me, can you guys tell me exactly where to buy the steering wheel I need and explain the issue with the airbags? Thanks.
I just swapped out my OEM S6 steering wheel for the Euro RS6 steering wheel. Alex at Europrice set everything up for me including the rewiring and replacing the RS6 badge with the S6 badge. It came complete with the airbag, for a plug and play swap. (FYI, I did, however, have to order the caps/covers that go over the airbag screws from my local dealer, as Europrice typically does not provide those. Personal choice if you need them or not. If you want them, mention it to Alex, and I'm sure he will include them.)

For your situation, Alex will probably recommend the TTRS steering wheel, since it doesn't have the paddle shifters. See here:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319491

The RS6 steering wheel pictured is actually mine, just after he finished the badge swap before sending out to me.

I'll follow this post with another with specific instructions on how to perform the swap. As posted previously, easy as pie.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Step by Step Instructions for Steering Wheel Swap

Following is what I did/ used to swap the OEM S6 steering wheel to the Euro RS6 steering wheel. The procedure is as outlined in the Bentley service manual.

1. With the car running, turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to access one of the caps/covers and bolts for the airbag. Pop the cover off, and loosen the first bolt using a T30 torx driver (underneath the column is easiest). Turn the steering wheel 270 degrees, and repeat for the second airbag bolt.

2. Straighten out steering wheel so it is perfectly straight.

3. Turn off engine, but leave the ignition on with the key in the ignition.

4. Access the battery in the trunk. (I engaged the trunk lid latch with a screwdriver to prevent it from latching accidentally if it closes.) Remove the cover over the battery with a 13mm wrench. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery using a 10mm wrench. ** IGNITION MUST BE ON WHEN DISCONNECTING** (I don't know why, but this is explicitedly stated in the Bentley manual for airbag disconnection.)

5. Ground yourself by touching the inside door handle before removing the airbag.

6. Pull out airbag slightly, and disconnect both the airbag connector and the multifunction switch connector. (Squeeze down on the top of the airbag connector to release and pull it out.) Remove the airbag, and set aside face up.

7. Remove steering wheel bolt using a 12mm 12-point/triple square bit (T55 torx supposedly works also, but I used the correct triple square bit).

8. Mark the center of the spindle with a fine felt tip permanent marker. Double check that steering wheel is centered.

9. Remove the old steering wheel (no steering wheel puller required !!!).

10. Replace with the new steering wheel, centering it as best you can - note that the mark you made on the spindle may not line up exactly with the mark on the new steering wheel. Just make sure that the wheel is perfectly straight.

11. Replace the steering wheel bolt.

12. Connect airbag and multifunction connectors, seating the multifunction wire and connector into the recess in the steering wheel base.

13. Place airbag into the steering wheel.

14. Jack up the front of the car so that you can turn the steering wheel easily to 90 and 270 degrees.

15. Screw in the airbag bolts, but do not snug them down yet.

16. Push on the airbag 3 times minimum to seat it properly, then tighten the airbag bolts.

17. Replace the caps/covers over the airbag screws.

18. Lower front of car.

19. Reconnect the battery ** WITH THE IGNITION ON**

20. Resyncronize all keys by inserting them into the ignition, and starting the car for each key.

21. Lower and raise all windows with the auto down and auto up function.

22. Reset the time, date, and trip computer as they get zeroed out when the battery is disconnected.

23. ** Note: ESP light will go out after driving for a bit.

24. Test drive and verify all functions on the steering wheel.

25. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: C6 RS6 Steering wheel