A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

car locked with keys inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car locked with keys inside

Hi

I have an A6 Avant 2006 and I had left the keys inside the car as I always do in my garage. I opened the door to get something out of the car and when I closed it the car locked itself with the keys inside.

I should have had dealer come and pick it up with a tow truck but unfortunately volunteered to open the car with second set of keys.

Of course when i took it to the dealer they were clueless and since they could not replicate the problem they could not do anything about it. Even though they admit there is TSB from Audi for cases like this but they need to verify where the problem is and since there is no error code they will not touch it

I wonder if it happens when i am on a trip somewhere and get locked out.
Anyone else has encountered such problem?

WHat gives?

Thanks
JIm
Old 12-11-2009, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me once. This was before I found out about the buttons under the door handle. What happened when you pressed that button?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a simple idea. DID NOT LEAVE THE KEYS INSIDE THE CAR
Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Here is a simple idea. DID NOT LEAVE THE KEYS INSIDE THE CAR
Easy now. Lots of us leave the keys in the car, especially those of us with garages and alarm systems. I've not heard of this happening, but I always make sure I have a spare key somewhere.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I always leave my window down just incase that happens. I know that if the door is locked then you unlock it, it will relock itself. I'm assuming the car somehow thought you locked then unlocked and relocked it for you. Also it's a pretty bad idea to leave your keys in your car even when your garage door is closed. Garages are very easy to break into as they only relly on a chain to move the door up and down. Using a simple pry bar then a car jack under the door will easily break the chain and allow it to be opened up by hand. Those tools are also in almost every car and it wouldn't make much noise. Whats your address again?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swhite63
Easy now. Lots of us leave the keys in the car, especially those of us with garages and alarm systems. I've not heard of this happening, but I always make sure I have a spare key somewhere.
If you must leave the keys in your car then may I suggust getting teh smart key option. If the sensors sense a key fob inside the door, you cannot lock the doors.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 AM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

This happened to my wife once. She left her bag in the car (keys were in her bag). Luckily I was there and had my keys with me. It can also happen if you accidentally put they keys in your trunk and close it.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it really strange that anyone leaves their keys in the car, in Europe if your keys are missing when your car gets stolen the insurance won't pay out.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default hidden programmable controls explains lock-out?

The C5's have a whole slew of hidden programmable features, many of which are controllable by the key fob. (such as beeing able to open/close windows, close the sunroof with the key fob, etc). These "hidden" features have been switched off for North American delivered cars by Audi USA for some wierd, legal liability issues. The point is, the secret about the hidden features on the C5's could not stay hidden on this side of the ocean. So owners either reactivated the ones they wanted using a VAGCOM, or asked those dealers who were cooperative to do it for them. One of those hidden features on my C5 was a choice to have the car auto-lock itself, or not. Purely guessing here, but my guess is that C6 models have hidden features that have been swtiched to "off" by Audi USA, too. The auto-lock choice is probably there, and there may be some electrical reason why it has suddendly adopted an "on" stance, whereas this was not the previous case.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gIzzE
I find it really strange that anyone leaves their keys in the car, in Europe if your keys are missing when your car gets stolen the insurance won't pay out.
I'm 90% positive thats the same case here. I'm starting a P&C insurance firm here and I know that unless there is physical damage to the car your homeowners and auto insurances will not pay for stolen stuff inside your car. I only leave my keys in the car when I'm working on it in my garage. If the car doesn't have wheels and is lifted up it makes it really hard for some theif to sneak in and steal it. I would suggest buying a keypad lockbox to put in your garage by the door and keep all your car keys in that. this way if someone breaks in they might be able to rip the box off the wall but they can't open it there to take your cars. Idk how many times i've seen on to catch a theif the "theif" taking peoples cars because they keep their spare keys laying around the house when they're out of town or w/e

Quick Reply: car locked with keys inside