A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Car serging any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car serging any ideas?

Alright I have been getting intermittent CEL's for some time since I have purchase my car. They go on and off every few days. It came back on Monday afternoon. I started car yesterday morning and placed into reverse backed out of garage then to drive. The car then felt like it was surging (Fluctuation in RPM's) then after a little ways it went away and didn't notice it the rest of the way to work.

A few hours later I start car to run to the post office and it does the same thing. I payed attention this time and seems like upon start up it was running rough and thru reverse and into drive which I didn't notice earlier.

Today, Same thing.

Do any of you have any idea.

The car is CPO however I am 60miles from the dealer which there service dept is horrible to get a hold of, Iver tried twice today hoping for a Saturday apt.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I get surges when the engine is cold, and I drive down a hill without pressing the accelerator - kinda coast down the hill i gear. Issue typically don't happen once the car warms up.

Were you on a hill/slope going down?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
I get surges when the engine is cold, and I drive down a hill without pressing the accelerator - kinda coast down the hill i gear. Issue typically don't happen once the car warms up.

Were you on a hill/slope going down?
So the surges are normal? I have the same problem when the engine is cold.

For anyone who bought their cars brand new on '05-'06 was the surging there when the engine is cold?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:12 PM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe have a local Audi mechanic pull the codes when the light is on. It could be anything. Or you could always get a vagcom.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car then felt like it was surging (Fluctuation in RPM's) then after a little ways it went away and didn't notice it the rest of the way to work.

I would let the dealer take a look at it. You may have cold engine misfire. They may update your ECM software (if not up to date), replace all 6 ignition coils but i believe the fix is to remove intake manifold and clean carbon deposit on the back of all intake valves.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I do not allow my car to warm up for about 60 seconds, it will surge because the rpm's are higher when it is idling when cold. With a cold start, my car turns about 1100 rpm's. That very quickly settles down to about 750 rpm's when it is done warming up. After the rpm's settle down, there are no surging issues. Unless I have been driving it and the engine is warm, I never get into my car, hit start and immediately put it in gear.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

2nd what Phknlwyr said. Also I'd suspect misfire/coilpack issue as oaktreelimb mentioned.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
i believe the fix is to remove intake manifold and clean carbon deposit on the back of all intake valves.
That is the fix for rough cold start.

the surge issue is like this - notice how the RPM needles dances up-down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIcKg0jjH4I

The dealer replaced the torque converter, which helped a little, but not fixed entirely.

Last edited by am_ver; 10-28-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 912 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by tambay

For anyone who bought their cars brand new on '05-'06 was the surging there when the engine is cold?
I bought my 05 4.2 brand new and I have never experienced the surging issue.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I as well usually wait till the RPM's have come down and settle around 750 however it still does it for several minuets past this. Very similar to am_ver's car but goes away much faster than this.

This happens to me on flat ground as well. I have apt set up with dealer on Monday. I will not tolerate the fluctuating RPM's. They will continue to get the car back until it is fixed or they can keep it. If it's a known problem they should have fixed it.

Quick Reply: Car serging any ideas?