A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

car shakes when I start it cold (dealer can't figure it out) any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shakes when I start it cold (dealer can't figure it out) any ideas?

I brought my 05 A6 in for its regular 45k maintenance. When I got it back, I started it and the car shakes/rumbles for 3-5 seconds before it smooths over. Brought it in- they went through their normal troubleshooting, and then thought they pinpointed it at carbon build up,but after re-assembly, still did it. Now they are thinking it involves the fuel system. Its been a week and a half....Has anyone else encountered this issue? What did it end up being?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Let me know what you find out. I just had mine in for rough cranking/starts and they blamed carbon..

buildup per Audi Technical and cleaned it out, but it still doesn't start and crank nearly as smoothly as the A4 loaner they gave me. It seems like the starter doesn't crank the engine quite enough and it struggles to gain revs as it first fires up and will sometimes die.

Could be tangentially related.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same issue on my 05...Still trying to figure it out.

Might start cheap with a 44k if it is in fact some sort of carbon buildup. For a brief week or two I had a small vacuum leak code showing up, that could have been related to the cold start shaking. Still not sure.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 PM

Default Re: car shakes when I start it cold (dealer can't figure it out) any ideas?

I brought mine, '07 A6, in last week also for the same exact problem. Left it there overnight for them to start in the next morning. Yes, they confirmed the car is shakey in the first few seconds, ~15sec.. But, they said it's normal. They had the other car with 13K for the same problem. Mine is 18K. They ask me to put some fuel additive in, when I re-fill my gas tank. I did that the next day, will see what happen next.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default There is a TSB out on this (or very similar problem)...

PierreB has the TSB in his signature.

click ...<ul><li><a href="http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/13/883667/audi.tb.24-07-01.pdf">...here</a></li></ul>
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

dealer applied basic software updates and did not see results
Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bummer. Cleaning the carbon out didn't fix my starting problem, and software was my next hope.

A regional rep is stopping by my dealer tomorrow and I'm going to drop my car off and see if he can take a look. I'll share any solutions and insight that hopefully come of it.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default They're suspecting the injectors now -- leaking and under/over pressure. They're scheduled to be...

replaced on Monday.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default They tried the same thing on mine, still did the same rumbling...Now their flying in the Engineer

First they tried cleaning the carbon, then they assumed it was fuel related and tested all the fuel injection systems, and ultimately they checked off every possible thing on their list that they could check for, so the next step is to fly in the regional certified Audi engineer, who is going to come and check out the engine.....They're saying they may have to replace the entire engine!!!!.........Now i'm freaking out!........It might be time to trade her in and upgrade the car!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, I'm trying not to panic...

I've noticed during a cold start that the exhaust smells really rich, so I hope the injectors are indeed the part at fault with my issue.

It's frustrating they can't narrow this down more, but if they have to end up replacing the engine, then so be it, I guess. As long as it's not poorly installed and more issues come of that. I just bought this car in December (financed) and am not in a position to offload it right now.

I wonder if lemon law could come into play at all since it's still under factory warranty?

Quick Reply: car shakes when I start it cold (dealer can't figure it out) any ideas?