A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Car wouldn't turn over today . . . *sigh* . . . Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wouldn't turn over today . . . *sigh* . . . Thoughts?

When I left work today on this cold, rainy, windy day . . . my car wouldn't start. It wouldn't even attempt it (turn over). The battery was fine, but it just wouldn't start.

I wish I had my own VAG-COM. I'm assuming it's the starter. Any other thoughts?
Too bad I'm also about to replace my rear control arms. This is going to be an expensive week.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could get really expensive if it's the steering column transponder problem
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mine was the starter

My 2006 A6 Avant had the starter fail at around 32k miles. It had been failing for a month or 2 ( I would try 2 or 3 times and it would finally work) and when I brought it to the dealer they could not duplicate the problem. When they brought the car around for me to drive home they shut it down and when I tried to start it it was dead, same as yours. Very lucky for me as a tech and then the service writer tried and saw it was hopeless. 15 minutes later they said it was the starter and kept it for 3 days. Fixed under warranty. I wonder how many other starters have failed on this model year.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newa6er
could get really expensive if it's the steering column transponder problem
Could you elaborate? I guess I could look for a thread on this if there's one out there.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by habu
My 2006 A6 Avant had the starter fail at around 32k miles. It had been failing for a month or 2 ( I would try 2 or 3 times and it would finally work) and when I brought it to the dealer they could not duplicate the problem. When they brought the car around for me to drive home they shut it down and when I tried to start it it was dead, same as yours. Very lucky for me as a tech and then the service writer tried and saw it was hopeless. 15 minutes later they said it was the starter and kept it for 3 days. Fixed under warranty. I wonder how many other starters have failed on this model year.
I'm no expert, but I really didn't have any issues starting the car until this happened. It was just a sudden (previously symptom-free) problem. I wonder if it could still be the starter.

I ended up taking it to a local guy in town who has told me before that he was experienced and comfortable working on my car. I decided to let him have a try (for the first time for me) since I had to have it towed and my nearest dealership is over an hour away. (My other usual guy (not dealer) is near my office but not near my house either).
Anyway, he has had it for one week tomorrow and hasn't made any headway. He's a nice guy and a good mechanic from what I've seen, but with this car/problem, I probably should have taken it straight to the dealer. *sigh*
Old 11-05-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This happened with my 05 a6. It was the transponder in the steering column. The dash and mmi worked but would not turn over. From my understanding the transponder recognizes the key. Dumb design but the steering column needs to be replaced. Could cost 1800 to 2000.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wess278
This happened with my 05 a6. It was the transponder in the steering column. The dash and mmi worked but would not turn over. From my understanding the transponder recognizes the key. Dumb design but the steering column needs to be replaced. Could cost 1800 to 2000.
I saw your thread. I am (rather obviously) very displeased. I guess I should find out tomorrow. I got my car towed to the dealer this evening. Now I get to figure TWO tows into my cost, plus whatever I'll get charged by the local guy for the time he spent unsuccessfully trying to ascertain the problem.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Buckeyedoc006
I saw your thread. I am (rather obviously) very displeased. I guess I should find out tomorrow. I got my car towed to the dealer this evening. Now I get to figure TWO tows into my cost, plus whatever I'll get charged by the local guy for the time he spent unsuccessfully trying to ascertain the problem.
Why should you accept a charge for something that didn't add to anything. If he said he was proficient at these cars, he should have been able to diagnose it, but he didn't. If he gave you a correct diagnosis,and you still wanted to take it elsewhere, then I'd accept a charge.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2.7allroader
Why should you accept a charge for something that didn't add to anything. If he said he was proficient at these cars, he should have been able to diagnose it, but he didn't. If he gave you a correct diagnosis,and you still wanted to take it elsewhere, then I'd accept a charge.
We'll see what happens. I feel he deserves something for his time, but I also think it should be minimized since he couldn't diagnose it.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well . . . it's the transponder. The steering column has to be replaced. It's going to be over $1700 for the repair. This is way too widespread of a problem, Audi.

Quick Reply: Car wouldn't turn over today . . . *sigh* . . . Thoughts?