A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Carbon Build Up - what a pain!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Build Up - what a pain!

This is my third Audi and all of them had carbon build up issues. This results in intermittent misfires and occasional check engine lights. Fixing this it is a chore - multiple trips to the dealership, lots of theories and wild guessing. I wish we can get a resolution once and for all. It's sad that I have to go through all the pain, considering the brand pretends to be one of the best. It's my curse that I love these cars...it's like dating a hot girlfriend that cheats on you all the time!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gstoykov
It's my curse that I love these cars...it's like dating a hot girlfriend that cheats on you all the time!
I love that description! That is one of the reasons I held off buying one for so many years. I have loved their design, interiors, AWD and performance / comfort ratio but having reliability be such a huge issue with everyone from major magazines to people on forums like this, I could not bring myself to pull the trigger, especially since I almost have a better chance of finding a Ferrari than an Audi where I live. I finally found one that I liked that was close buy so I pulled the trigger and so far so good. I love the car itself and as long as reliability is not an issue (since I am down to 1 car now), I am looking forward to several years of driving enjoyment.

One question though, is the carbon buildup only an Audi issue and if so why? I have owned a number of cars from Lexus, Honda, Nissan, Jeep and have never heard of this issue with any of them, but it seems to come up a lot with Audi.

Anthony
Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Read the link below to understand why and no Audi is not the only one affected.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/...-adopters.html
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

One of the reasons I plan to hang onto my non FSI 2005 4.2 as long as possible, no worries of the dreaded carbon buildup.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
One of the reasons I plan to hang onto my non FSI 2005 4.2 as long as possible, no worries of the dreaded carbon buildup.

I am in the same situation. Love my BNK.

Anyway if I had a dollar for every person that tried telling me to not buy an Audi I would have another Audi in my driveway. Buying An Audi is not like buying a Toyota like a million of same model w a dealer around every corner but I don't mind.. U guys keep fearing Audi and help lower the resale of my next Audi.

Also

Anyone see the "Wheeler Dealers" episode on Velocity channel. I think it was the Jag XK8 episode. They featured a carbon build up cleaner. The Jag could not pass MOT AND. They had a before n after compression scan. Technology is improving and machines will improve.. Maybe there are machines like t hat for rent for the DIYer.

Last edited by MainlandMig; 10-30-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Read the link below to understand why and no Audi is not the only one affected.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/...-adopters.html
That was a good read!

I just wonder how a crap *** company like GM has figured out how to avoid this issue while a state of the art company like Audi, who builds some of the best cars in the world, has not. LOL Your GM car will creak, rattle, and pretty much fall apart, but hey, the engine will be free of carbon buildup.... /sigh

Anthony
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is it has more to do with the emission setup and not the direct inject system. What I am being told is Audi had a bad setup for the emissions but because the fuel flowed over the valves it was never noticed. Now that the fuel is injected directly the truth in the bad emission design is showing.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lazydog
My understanding is it has more to do with the emission setup and not the direct inject system. What I am being told is Audi had a bad setup for the emissions but because the fuel flowed over the valves it was never noticed. Now that the fuel is injected directly the truth in the bad emission design is showing.
It's the direct injection. My Sister in-laws Cadillac is doing the same plugging of the intake ports.

Direct injection also puts lots of fuel into the oil, if anyone has ever done oil sampling it will show up, especially doing shorter trips.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
It's the direct injection. My Sister in-laws Cadillac is doing the same plugging of the intake ports.
Ports are being plugged because the valves are not being cleaned because the fuel is not being being passed over them. If the fuel isn't passing over the valves then one must question where the crud is coming from. Emissions setup. It fed back into the motor.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Reversion! All intakes have reversion at some point in the RMP range. Take a look next time on the dyno. All engines have reversion in the intake tract at certain RPM's. Without fresh fuel going over the valves, there simply ends up too much crud and carbon on them from combustion without any solvent to wash them clean.