A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Carbon buildup CEL TSB Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

tmiele, I hope 4 times is a charm There seems to be more carbon build up problem with the S6 and the S4.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default That is indeed very interesting...

It does seem the Audi tech explained it to me as if the overlap and subsequent fuel going back into the intake was the <u>cause</u> of the carbon buildup, but using it as a solution is an interesting idea. Perhaps you are correct and the TSB in fact changes the overlap to allow this "cleaning function". Unfortunately only time will tell and while I assume catch cans or vented PCV systems may work if the problem is oil related it is not something I feel I should have to do.

As I've stated before I'm a meticulous maintainer of my car and always have used Shell V-Power and Audi approved oils. I don't drive like a granny so it is quite disconcerting that this would happen.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoVA_A6
I shouldn't have read this thread. I haven't had any CEL come on but the other day I was getting on the highway and a car sped up to try to block me. I put the car in sports mode and stepped on it. I noticed a lot of black smoke coming out of the back. I haven't gotten on it like that in a long time.
Could this be too much carbon?
I have no idea what the cause is, but I have noticed the same thing. The longer it has been since you have stomped on it, the more the smoke (based on my definitely unscientific eyeball looking in the rear view mirror).

Mentioned it to the dealer at the next oil change after I noticed it the first time, and got the "car is operating normally" response.

Car does not seem to use oil (and smoke is definitely more toward black than blue).

My response has been to try to wind it up to redline at least once a week... keeps the smoke down :-)
Old 03-20-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ath42
I have no idea what the cause is, but I have noticed the same thing. The longer it has been since you have stomped on it, the more the smoke (based on my definitely unscientific eyeball looking in the rear view mirror).

Mentioned it to the dealer at the next oil change after I noticed it the first time, and got the "car is operating normally" response.

Car does not seem to use oil (and smoke is definitely more toward black than blue).

My response has been to try to wind it up to redline at least once a week... keeps the smoke down :-)

I haven't noticed it since that one time and since reading this thread I've added some fuel aditive to make me feel better.
Where I live it's not too often I can really get on it due to traffic but found a quiet stretch of 66 yesterday afternoon and just about read lined it and it looked good.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Download this PDF file.

There is a good reason why low SAPS engine oil is required for EURO 4 engine.

Cheers,
Clement
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Download this PDF file.

There is a good reason why low SAPS engine oil is required for EURO 4 engine.

Cheers,
Clement
Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was told by Dealer that Audi gave me an extended warranty to cover the valve cleaning! Covers up to ten years or 125k miles. Looks like Audi is taking responsibility for this issue. I have a Q5 bought after lease, not certified.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Quefer
I was told by Dealer that Audi gave me an extended warranty to cover the valve cleaning! Covers up to ten years or 125k miles. Looks like Audi is taking responsibility for this issue. I have a Q5 bought after lease, not certified.
Can anyone confirm this for the C6 3.2 or 4.2 FSI? Also for the A6, Q5, or any Audi, does a CEL have to be on or the car symptomatic for Audi to fix the issue? More details would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LLskier23
Can anyone confirm this for the C6 3.2 or 4.2 FSI? Also for the A6, Q5, or any Audi, does a CEL have to be on or the car symptomatic for Audi to fix the issue? More details would be greatly appreciated.
Here's the letter summary from Audi. Note that the letter goes on to state the warranty only covers carbon cleaning of the secondary air ports located in the TSFI engine cylinders and only if it results in displaying a CEL. I.e., carbon on the injectors would not be covered under the extended warranty.

"As part of Audi's ongoing commitment to the environment, we are informing you of our decision to extend your Emissions Control Systems Warranty to cover cleaning of the engine cylinder head secondary air ports to remove carbon buildup under specific conditions to 10 years or 120,000 miles.

Vehicles eligible:

2009-2012 Model Year with 3.2L and 2009-2013 with 3.0T

If you have incurred out-of-pocket expenses directly related to a repair that would have been covered under this warranty extension on would like to request reimbursement, mail copies of receipts, invoices and/or repair orders to:

AUDI OF AMERICA INC
Attn: Warranty Extension Reimbursement
3800 Hamlin Road, Auburn Hills, MI 48326"
Old 02-07-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
...to cover cleaning of the engine cylinder head secondary air ports to remove carbon buildup under specific conditions to 10 years or 120,000 miles.[/I]
So this is essentially a totally different issue than our carbon buildup. They are covering the secondary air injection system carbon issues, whereas this thread has primarily talked about buildup on the injectors. I have read about this secondary air port problem a lot on the Q5 forums, and it is by no means a small issue, but Audi's new coverage doesn't really seem to apply here then.

Quick Reply: Carbon buildup CEL TSB Update