A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-25-2016, 01:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Carbon buildup on my S6

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I pick her up in about 2 hours. Was told by the SM that she is running great now and I should be VERY impressed with how she now runs. Only problem I see is I might be impressed now but what happens in 10k? I have been reading different views on the subject. Some say driving hard causes the carbon to be burned up so it cannot attach itself while others say hard driving causes build up faster. One doesn't know what to believe now days.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very curious about this. I have a 95.5 S6 and a 07 S6 (V10) with 55K on it now. While I have not noticed any issues, all of the information I have read makes me feel like I will be faced with this at some point.

I wonder if there is any information on the crankcase ventilation and any possible adaptations to cut down on some of the particulates that might be causing the carbon buildup.

I drive variably, with cruising on the highway to work, interspersed with full throttle jaunts either passing people on the highway or tooling around the back roads. All are done only after proper warmup of the engine.

I'd really like to get a peak at the valves without ripping the intake manifolds off.

Ed
Old 08-29-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got my car back and I have taken notice that it is snappier then before. Maybe I'm just not used to it after a week. I'll have to keep an eye on the MPG's as there I should see a difference.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Do you know which engines are using the secondary port injection?
From reading it looks like audi's 3.0T engines are rid of the carbon build up. So 09 a6's and newer with the 3.0T and the S4 with 3.0T engines.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Below is from an article that references the 3.0T engines from Audi.

"There is no simple fix for engines that are prone to carbon build-up, Chick says. What’s needed is a complete redesign of the crankcase ventilation and exhaust-gas recirculation systems to prevent particulates from getting through. Fortunately, the manufacturers whose engines are frequently cited in carbon build-up reports – mainly VW, Audi and Lexus – appear to have taken this step with many of their latest models. For instance, Audi’s new 3-liter supercharged V6, used in the S4 and A6 models, has so far been free from carbon-related complaints – a far cry from the 3.2 liter V6, which has numerous threads dedicated to the condition."
Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was talking with other shop and they informed me that there is something I can do. I forget the name of the product but basically what he said is it get attached to your car about every 10k to clean out the carbon build up though the vacuum lines.

anyone hear anything about something like this?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes they are talking about a catch can. It's hard to decipher it it actually works are there are post on the web about them not helping RS4 owners who've tried it. A catch can that has an actual filter inside might have a better chance of keeping some of those particles out of the intake area. Do some research on the web about a "catch can"
Old 09-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Or they are talking about the BG cleaning solution where they force it in through the vacuum lines as you stated. The potential challenge for that approach is by 10K the particles may be to baked on for a simple "flush of BG cleaner" to get any of it off. It you have that flush done every 5K miles it may help better but you won't really know how it helps unless you inspect the areas before the solution and then again after it's flushed through.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thnx for the replies. I am not sure what I am going to do but I have to do something. $1200 is crazy.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In my experimentation of my Supercharged Z06 Corvette catch cans need to be mounted low and a long lead of hose down to it and back up to the TB with a filter inside of the catch can. This helps a lot as the oil/water vapor will fall out of the stream and "run" into the catch can. The filter on the return line helps anything left to be sorted out.

Quick Reply: Carbon buildup on my S6