A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

changing differential oils

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

hey guys, this thread started off as a 'Differential Fluid' thread, not a Transmission Fluid thread.

Just wanted to follow-up that I did the diff today, front, rear and the middle (transfer case) and changed out with Redline, which not only a few of the Audi techs highly recommended, but seems to have some great recommendations online as well.

As for transmission fluid, I did change mine out and although the car takes a 9 liter capacity only 5 can actually be changed when you drop the tranny pan. I used ZF lifeguard 8, which has worked out really well and will be doing the tranny fluid change again in about 60K miles.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I got the rear differential fluid changed and transmission fluid changed by a ZF 'approved' shop, however they said the front and center diffs they had no access to, and they would drop the sub frame etc etc. They claimed they never changed it before and it isn't necessary.

What gives?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

get a new mechanic. the front and center differential fluid is sucked out from the side of each case and is not drained. both are located on the right side of the respective housing. it only took 40 mins to do all 3 differentials btw
Old 08-16-2014, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread here, raj99, let me understand something, you replaced all three (front, transfer, and rear ) differential fluids with Red Line? I have read a few threads here about the transfer case having another type of oil/part number. If you have put the same in all three, how does the car drive a year later? Have you checked the current condition of the fluids in the differential recently? Any drivability / performance issues? Thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by roylok
Resurrecting an old thread here, raj99, let me understand something, you replaced all three (front, transfer, and rear ) differential fluids with Red Line? I have read a few threads here about the transfer case having another type of oil/part number. If you have put the same in all three, how does the car drive a year later? Have you checked the current condition of the fluids in the differential recently? Any drivability / performance issues? Thanks
Hi Roy,

I actually used Redline SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 for the front and rear transfer case and for the middle used the recommended transfer fluid...can't recall exactly what it was called right now, but it was different from the other one.

It's been over a year since the change of fluid and zero issues, car shifts and runs great and I'm VERY happy.

Last edited by raj99; 06-08-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great, thanks for that Raj, I was under the wrong impression that you put the same in all three. I'm about to do the oil change and I'm also getting the "magic" $80/liter fluid from the dealer for the transfer case. I'm not worried too much about what goes in the front and rear differentials , I guess any synthetic GL-5 will do. Did you have to remove anything to get to the fill plug?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

no worries Roy...as for things to do to make it easier:

1 - electric pump to suck out all the fluids
2 - remove passenger side front tire to gain easy access to the front diff
3 - make sure you top up all the way

Get good quality diff fluid, I'd done a LOT of research and Redline come up over and over again as some of the best, furthermore my local indy highly recommended it as well. Good call on getting the good stuff for the transfer case...no point mucking about with that...did I notice any huge improvement...NO, but I've not seen any degradation in the car and am VERY pleased with that. At the end of the day, all this maintenance isn't performance related, it's related to normal factory maintenance. I'm glad mine is still purring and happy

BTW, Monday I'm getting the all 4 rotors and pads done. Yes, I could do them in the garage, but I'm lazy and it's sunny out So figured it was worth my energy to have my local indy do the whole job, plus new brake fluid. Brembo rotors (made in Italy actually) and Akebono pads all around.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here you go Roy. I used AMSOIL for my f/r differentials and ZF LG8 oil for my tranny

Differential, 01R Rear..........3.2 pints (1.5)

Differential, 09L Front..........2.3 pints (1.1 Liter)
Transfer Case, 09L..........1.3 pints (0.6 Liter)

Differential & Rear differential
G 052 145 S2 (1l bottle)
G 052 145 A1 (0,5L bottle)

Transfer box
G 055 145 A2
__

Generic Option: AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

Differential, Rear 01R......GL-5

Differential, Front 09L......GL-4
All TEMPS......75W-90 [3] [4] ---- G 052 145
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)
Transfer Case,09L......GL-4
All TEMPS......75W-90 [4]
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)

___
Tranny fluid:

ZF LifeGuard 8 - Case of 12 x 1L Container
___
(2) Split oil supply front / rear axle differential:
- Fill front axle differential with transmission oil Castrol SAF-AG4
=> Audi / VW Oil No. N 052145000, Porsche Oil No. 999.917.545.00)
- Fill rear axle differential with transmission oil Castrol SAF-AG4 Q (SAF-AG4 + 4% FM Additive)
=> Audi / VW Oil No. G 055145 A2)
Common oil supply front /rear axle differential:
- Fill with transmission oil Castrol SAF-AG4 Q (SAF-AG4 + 4% FM Additive) => Audi / VW Oil No. G 055145 A2

Last edited by am_ver; 08-19-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you very much for the help guys. I did drain and fill the transmission, drove for a few miles, dropped the pan and changed the filter. By the time I got around to do the differentials I was tired and called it a day. The transmission fluid was definitely due for a change, lots of buildup on the magnets and and at the bottom of the pan. Noticeable difference in shift quality. I would recommend a fluid change to whoever hasn't done it.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

sorry to dig up an old thread but raj you mentioned taking 40 min for all 3 diffs. did you have to do anything special for the transfer case/middle? ive seen some say need to lower exhaust and transmission mount. I was able to get a hex socket onto it without the rachet but would imagine it is pretty tight with the rachet, if it would work.

thanks

Quick Reply: changing differential oils