A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Check Engine Light -> intake manifold flap

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Engine Light -> intake manifold flap

Hey All,

I have an '06 3.2 quattro S-Line with 61k miles.

I've had my check engine light go on and off for the better part of the past 4-5 months...Took it to my mechanic, and hooked up the vag-com and the message was:

Intake Manifold Bank 0 Stuck Open
OR
Intake Manifold Bank 0 Stuck Closed

Initially it was said that the issue was due to faulty vacuum lines...had one replaced, but the issue came back.

I left the car with the mechanic again, today...and now he says that the intake manifold flaps are binding and that it is a very costly service: upwards of $1600...I was told I can ride it out for now, but it may cause drivability issues soon...

Anyone else experience anything like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I feel your pain ... I just went through the same thing with my 2005 a6 3.2l....one day all of the sudden a check engine light appeared , and it threw the same codes. I took it to the dealership to get diagnosed closely and sure enough the flaps on the passenger side intake runners were stuck open/closed....the vacuum actuator that has a little arm that attaches to what controls the flaps fell off....it was a ball and socket type of connection and the arm became unattached. If you tried to pop it back on it would just fall back off since it had worn out....so the dealer had to replace the entire plastic runner/flap/actuator assembly because it only comes that way from the factory.....Ever since it has been replaced the car actually ran better than before the problem appeared.
I suggest doing the repair because if the flaps either get stuck open or closed, it actually throws off the airflow to your engine and it runs a bit funny. ....
As for price, $1600 is a bit much.....I saved a chunk of cash since my friends own the Audi dealership, but at full price the service would have been about $600 or so odd dollars for teh one side......The thing is the dealer won't know unless they take the entire plenum off...
I hope this helped out a little
Old 04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996twinturbo
Hi there, I feel your pain ... I just went through the same thing with my 2005 a6 3.2l....one day all of the sudden a check engine light appeared , and it threw the same codes. I took it to the dealership to get diagnosed closely and sure enough the flaps on the passenger side intake runners were stuck open/closed....the vacuum actuator that has a little arm that attaches to what controls the flaps fell off....it was a ball and socket type of connection and the arm became unattached. If you tried to pop it back on it would just fall back off since it had worn out....so the dealer had to replace the entire plastic runner/flap/actuator assembly because it only comes that way from the factory.....Ever since it has been replaced the car actually ran better than before the problem appeared.
I suggest doing the repair because if the flaps either get stuck open or closed, it actually throws off the airflow to your engine and it runs a bit funny. ....
As for price, $1600 is a bit much.....I saved a chunk of cash since my friends own the Audi dealership, but at full price the service would have been about $600 or so odd dollars for teh one side......The thing is the dealer won't know unless they take the entire plenum off...
I hope this helped out a little
Thanks so much for the reply, 996...Currently he said he sprayed some silicone into the vacuum and it that the flaps are temporarily not sticking but that it may return...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt :S
Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

that would be really good if and easy fix would solve your problem. I wasn't so lucky , but touch wood my car has been great ever since thet had it apart..
Old 11-04-2015, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Intake manifold repair kit from airshox.eu --?

I too have the dreaded intake manifold CEL on my 2009 A6 3.0T (133k miles all my own); local shop wants $3300 to replace both intake manifolds. Can you say rip off. I found
from a Bulgarian outfit called AirShox.eu - anyone had any experience with them? I have pinged them for a reply, pricing, availability of shipment to Californy. Or any other US-based repair kit or outfit? goapr.com is of no apparent help either.

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

... found this 'auf Deutsch' tutorial as well. "Saugrohrklappen" --> "Intake Manifold".

Old 07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Intake Manifold Runner replaced and code wont go away

Hey all, I had the whole intake manifold runner part replaced. Cleared the code and it keeps coming back no matter what. Is there something i am missing?

2006 Audi a4 3.2L BKH
Old 07-12-2016, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

There's a vacuum line that melts/splits and can cause this problem. I corrected this a 2nd time on our A6 BKH car just last week. They run a line across the head on the driver's side...not a good strategy.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
There's a vacuum line that melts/splits and can cause this problem. I corrected this a 2nd time on our A6 BKH car just last week. They run a line across the head on the driver's side...not a good strategy.
Thank You for your quick response. I'll look into that ASAP. Also is there a way to patch this? or does the vacuum line has to be replaced totally?
Old 11-02-2016, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Monifolds

Hello everyone.
I have audi a6 3.0 tdi quattro
Since i bought the car i had a problem with the engine management light,code was air intake monifold runner or some like that so i decide to change flaps £ 125 whole kit from ebay i change it but problem still .i went to local garage o scan the code they found the same fault. Any suggestions what i have to change now or event what to do with that ?
Thanks for answers.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light -> intake manifold flap