A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Class Action for Leaky Sunroofs

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class Action for Leaky Sunroofs

I just got an interesting thing in the mail today, a notice of proposed settlement for a class action lawsuit. Guess a few too many cars have had leaky sunroofs due to wet debris getting caught in there.

I've never had a problem, but then again my car is only about 1.5 years old and lives in a garage.. anyone here planning to file a claim? The settlement provide reimbursement for anyone that has paid out-of-pocket as a result of damage due to water intrusion thru either the sunroof or fresh air plenum.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Funny you mention that

Our audi is watertight. My Land Rover LR3 HSE has not been. if anyone needs to join the class action, its owners of Range Rover Sports and Land Rover LR3s. I love the truck - LOVE IT - but the sunroofs are a total total disaster.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I actually had issues with the passenger side drains in my sunroof. Fortunately, my car is a CPO otherwise, I wouldn't be talking about it now and it'd be in another dealer's lot. They kept the car for a total of 2 weeks over the course of 2 visits while they figured out what the problem was.

What I found funny was that I received 2 notices, one for my first Audi (a B5 A4), and my current Audi (my A6).
Old 05-11-2010, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jetshine
I just got an interesting thing in the mail today, a notice of proposed settlement for a class action lawsuit. Guess a few too many cars have had leaky sunroofs due to wet debris getting caught in there.
Usually if it's a massive enough problem you'll find it here in the C6 forum..I personally haven't seen many but be sure and check. Also, most of those type lawsuits are proposals not actual suits in progress and always have a web link..does yours? plus who sent it? Have you checked the TSB's?

Last edited by mystrodo; 05-11-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelin erors
Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also received this mail. Never had any issue till now with my car.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The web link was http://www.wateringresssettlement.com

And it seems to be a fairly big class action, it covers quite a few VW and Audi models.

The package I received included new maintenance instructions, see the attachment.

Best part about the lawsuit? $8M is getting set aside to settle claims for out-of-pocket expenses, while the law firm gets "up to" $30M plus $1.5M in fees. Love it!

Another interesting question: I purchased the Audi care package for my car when I got it. I wonder if it now includes this new maintenance procedure since it is now manufacturer recommended? Removing the "plenum cover" doesn't sound like a difficult thing to do (who knows though)... I just want to be sure that Audi does it so that I don't run into a leaky sunroof down the road. I bet that I'll have to tell them to do the check when I bring in my car for the 40k or 2 year service interval.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Happened to my A6 but I drain the thing out myself --> getting nothing for this whole lawsuit. Life sucks, should have just brought the car to dealer that day.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Class Action for Leaky Sunroofs

Originally Posted by BlueSander
Happened to my A6 but I drain the thing out myself --> getting nothing for this whole lawsuit. Life sucks, should have just brought the car to dealer that day.
So just to be clear. The dealer will deal with this at no cost if it occurs or as a proactive check?.....
Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default good stuff

JS, thanks for the links and image, I actually got mine in the mail today. I'd like to find a schematic of the draining system..maybe we can just blow them out?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

The water leak problem has been notorious in the VW Passats for years both from the battery tray under the hood (which had the drains under the battery!), as well as the sun roof drains which used to have the nipples at the end of the water drain tubes getting clogged backing the entire tube up.

Given both the VWs and Audis are very similar in lineage, it doesn't surprise me that the Audis have issues also.

I have yet to see an issue in my 2005 A6 but naturally, now that I've said that, the leaks will start now!

Quick Reply: Class Action for Leaky Sunroofs