A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Clockspring help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Clockspring help please

This is my first post but I will try to keep it short.
I recently purchased a 2K8 A6 and though it is well equipped, I want more. So one of the first things I wanted to install was a heated steering wheel for no other reason than to say I have one. Anyway, put it in a couple weeks ago and went to code it in the steering wheel module but it wouldn't accept the code. After a little research here and other forums I reasoned that there might not be an electrical connection to the heater. Sure enough, I removed the airbag again (kept wires on) unplugged the heating connector and sure enough, no contacts in the clockspring for that accessory. I called the recycler I got the wheel from and asked him to sell me a clockspring that had those contacts and he sent me pictures to confirm.
I got the clockspring today and did something really dumb, apparently, I started turning the clockspring back and forth through several turns before I bothered to read that I shouldn't do that. So, I don't feel I have done it any damage at this point but before I go to the trouble of trying it out I want to know how to get it in it's proper, initial position. I believe I have it figured out from markings molded into the clear upper housing which has two "swish marks" that seem to mimic the cable inside. So I turned it CCW until I bumped into a "stop" and then turned it CW until the arrow on the rotating inner part was between the two swish marks and the spring loaded stop keeps the arrow between the two marks and the cable(s) appear centered just outside the two swish marks.
Question (finally) Is this the proper way to align this thing? Assuming I didn't damage it outright and I plug it in with the wheels properly straightened, should things be straightforward from that point?
I apologize again for the length but I like to include as much detail as possible. Thanks all, love this forum.