A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Clunking sound...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clunking sound...

Hey guys so I purchased my 06 CPO A6 about 3 weeks ago and as I drive it more and more I'm convinced that there is something wrong, When I drive at low speeds over repeated holes I get this slight clunking sound at first it sounded like it was coming from the front right but today I took it to NYC ( i live in NJ and most roads are smooth around where I live) and noticed It was also coming from the back when going over holes. Now I noticed this the first week after having the vehicle so I went back to the dealer and they had me go for a drive with the "most experienced tech" because they could not duplicate, of course, and unfortunately all the roads around the dealer are pretty smooth so we only got the sound a couple of times and the tech said that those sounds are normal with the suspension in these vehicles. Today while I was in the city I was very annoyed with the sounds, what should I do? I'm afraid they are gonna give me the run around at the dealer since this would be the 3rd time I take the car in, I went in there pretty upset the second week cuz they sell me a CPO but didn't notice the wheel bearings needed to be replaced! So they replaced them and i made them update my MMI, sorry for the long post would appreciate anyones help.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a diff dealer. It shouldnt have been the bearings but its good that they replaced them since thats a very common problem. Did they do a suspension check? Maybe you have some strut issues or blown shock, who knows where the car was before you.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it sounds like a blown/bad shock to me. You won't notice it on slight or gradual bumps, but get a firm tight bump and you'll hear a blown shock for sure.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scooter80
Yeah, it sounds like a blown/bad shock to me. You won't notice it on slight or gradual bumps, but get a firm tight bump and you'll hear a blown shock for sure.
so i went to another dealer and they said they checked everything and said everything was tight and that I actually had a lot of new parts I guess since the car is certified. I drove around with the tech and he says the sounds are normal very dissapointing. I guess the cars are just a little noisier than other cars I've owned.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 06 Avant with Air Ride and had a similar noise in the front end. They ended up replacing the Lower Guide Link.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I hope the noise is not the calipers (brakes) rattling - similar to when you go over those divider bumps
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well...

Originally Posted by Monster1
I have a 06 Avant with Air Ride and had a similar noise in the front end. They ended up replacing the Lower Guide Link.
I don't have air ride so not sure if that would make a difference, I know its not a blown shock cuz I know what that sounds like, and unfortunately I don't know anyone else with an A6 that I can't take for a spin to compare.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

How many miles has it done??

Many cars need their anti roll bar (sway bar) drop links replaced every 50k miles or so, the rubber withers away slightly and gives a thud that sounds like it just couldn't be that loud from a simple drop link, sounds like the struts are shot.

Also, you can't test this out, you can get it up on a ramp and they will seem fine, so changing them is the only way to tell.

They are usually about $20 a pair and can be done yourself, so give that a bash before doing anything else.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default interesting...

Originally Posted by gIzzE
How many miles has it done??

Many cars need their anti roll bar (sway bar) drop links replaced every 50k miles or so, the rubber withers away slightly and gives a thud that sounds like it just couldn't be that loud from a simple drop link, sounds like the struts are shot.

Also, you can't test this out, you can get it up on a ramp and they will seem fine, so changing them is the only way to tell.

They are usually about $20 a pair and can be done yourself, so give that a bash before doing anything else.
I am the second owner the car is originally from florida and has 48K on it.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would definitley look at replacing the sway bar links.

Mine is now at 52k miles and I think my fronts need doing.

Quick Reply: Clunking sound...