A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Clunking sound...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gIzzE
How many miles has it done??

Many cars need their anti roll bar (sway bar) drop links replaced every 50k miles or so, the rubber withers away slightly and gives a thud that sounds like it just couldn't be that loud from a simple drop link, sounds like the struts are shot.

Also, you can't test this out, you can get it up on a ramp and they will seem fine, so changing them is the only way to tell.

They are usually about $20 a pair and can be done yourself, so give that a bash before doing anything else.
Do we just buy OEM ones from the dealer even though in my case I have an after market rear sway bar.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to buy the bushes for the bar you have, if you have say an 18mm bar and swap for a 21mm bar you need the correct bushes for the new bar, otherwise you will also get clunking noise as they are not seated properly.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

The problem could be the following ,because I experienced a similar sound,the following issue.I had some type of clunking from the Left hand side front of the car.
What I determined with the Audi tech was this.The clip that holds the break pad securely was loose ,therefore when you hit a sharp edge, bump,the pad would slide and make the sound.

Now I put on new brake pads about 4 months,superior to the OEMs(audi) in the front.Akebono the manufacturer is the OEM supplier to Audi and skoda and VW.I put on akebono ceramics,So it wasnt the pads,it was the clip that hold them together.
What they did was, they put an adhesive on them .Caliper was taken apart remounted and done.100 dollars.Nice ,ah? I was not happy to pay.But its fixed.

The tech said it doesnt cause any unsafe issue is just sliding in the caliper.Try the folowing, When you apply the break through the same bump,see if you hear it?If you dont, you know that is the problem._REMEMBER THE DEALER IS OUT TO MAKE MONEY OFF YOU.------Good luck.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

The following is a message I sent to an Audi tech friend of mine.Regarding the potential clunking sound fron the front end of the car.,Good morning! Just wanted to let you know that they fixed the problem.Just like you diagnosed it.Tony is very much by the book.Immediately saw that my brake pads were aftermarket.I told him that indeed they are,and better that OEM.They both are made by the same manufacturers.Pagid or Akebono.The only difference,my Akebonos in the front have Ceramic.Therefore less dust and squeals.-He knew I wasn't going to pay for another set of Pads with a sensor,so he put the adhesive and it worked.-But my impression was they really wanted to make a few extra dollars.But diplomacy took its course and it was resolved.This might sound stupid,but when you are doing an alignment on the car,do you have to move break calipers at all?Because I don't think so.

Anyhow this could be the problem.Its not struts, tie rods or ball joints.or sway bars.-------Unless you have been driving from Paris to Dakkar ,thats not it.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Ernest said, drive somewhere you get this noise almost constantly..do it a couple of times then drive it while lightly applying the brake...did it stop the noise? I'm also leaning more towards the brakes as opposed to the anti roll bar on this but I certainly wouldn't rule it out if this test doesn't work. It's a fixable problem..A6's are one of the quietest if not the quietest on rough roads.