A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Coil Pack recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coil Pack recall

My 2006 A6 Avant with 33,500 miles issued a yellow warning light this Saturday for an electrical malfunction. The car then started missing intermittently, especially when under a load such as going uphill. The car was loaded with 4 adults and 6 bags of clothing for a 4 day vacation. I called the local dealer and the scv writer told me it was probably a failing coil pack and to drive it in. They just got a recall notice for this problem and the symptoms sounded identical. He felt the car would make the drive and not hurt the engine. I drove 90 highly stressful miles hoping the car would not die. When running on level roads it was fine and we could do 60mph without stumbling. Hills made the car unhappy. The mileage remained the same as when we started at 29mpg. We arrived at the dealership (where I bought the car 4 years ago) and she was fixed in 1 hour for no cost under the recall program which has not yet been issued for the 2006 models but should be soon. The car is out of warranty but the transaction was hassle free. Good experience.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal. =)

I got mine done under the recall without incident. Did not have any of the engine hesitation you had but good to have it done still.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDD
Good deal. =)

I got mine done under the recall without incident. Did not have any of the engine hesitation you had but good to have it done still.
I'm surprised you made it !!! Mine had to be towed into the dealer, 15 miles away. glad everything worked out.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does your car show up as impacted when you enter the details into here?:

http://www.audiusa.com/coils
Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought the recall was a voluntary one or basically one that you don't have to do yesterday. If things went as badly as they did in that picture I would think the recall would be more immediate like the Toyota brake recalls.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, my vehicle was affected by the recall. I was supposed to receive a letter between Mar'10- May'10,did not receive any letter, nor was the recall addressed on my last visit to the dealer a couple of week prior. The recall was not known to me at that time, otherwise I would have insisted on the coil replacement, but I'm sure that the dealer was aware. I was supposed to go on a 200 mile road trip the day before, then where would I stand, stranded a couple of hundred miles from home. What would have Audi done for me then??? I'm really surprised Audi could let something like this just go, and not make a serious effort to notify owners, and rectify this ASAP. From what I heard, from my little bit of research online, Audi was well-aware of this problem for some time and they did a pretty good job of keeping it quiet. Maybe they were hoping their new car warranties would run out before the coils failed, as mine did. They did make good for it, but only because of the recall. Maybe my situation is not "normal" for coil failure, but I'm sure I can't be the only one, and if you have an affected model, BEWARE, you could be left stranded, or worse, have your engine catch fire.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi - I got the letter for my '06 A6 3.2Q a couple of months ago, which noted that my car needed to be inspected, but that I would be contacted by the dealer when they had sufficient stock of replacement coils.

Because my spark plugs were being changed as part of a service on Tuesday, I suggested to my service advisor that they inspect the coil packs while there...they did, and the old part numbers indicated that they should be replaced. It was all done without charge as part of the letter campaign.

Woo hoo!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RDD
I thought the recall was a voluntary one or basically one that you don't have to do yesterday. If things went as badly as they did in that picture I would think the recall would be more immediate like the Toyota brake recalls.
That is the case, but a failure is inconvenient enough if you experience problems that I went ahead and asked the dealer to get the swap-out taken care of when I had the car in for service.

They said they had plenty of the parts in-stock at this point (my understanding is part availability was the main reason Audi was doing the staggered "advise-then-later-schedule" approach).

Figured I'd do my best to schedule the inconvenience at my convenience, if you get my drift, instead of having fate make the choice for me