A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Control arm question

The hits keep on coming, I brought my 05 in for tires and a state inspection. Shop called and told me that 4 control arm bushings are torn and need to be replaced. When all is done it will be about $1,000 including labor.
If I'm going to spend that kind of money should I pay to get the entire control arm replaced? What would that most likely cost?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was that at the dealer or an independant? Maybe a second opinon is in order.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

An indy that I trust. I miss understood what he was saying I thought they would repack the bushings but they are going to replace the whole control arm instead.
Does 1k seem resonable? I have an exended warrany so I think this is covered.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can replace all front four upper control arms in less than 2 hours. Repair manual tells you to remove front struts but you can do it without removing front struts. Hope the Indy shop knows how to set the control arm heigh (very important)
Old 02-23-2010, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoVA_A6
An indy that I trust. I miss understood what he was saying I thought they would repack the bushings but they are going to replace the whole control arm instead.
Does 1k seem resonable? I have an exended warrany so I think this is covered.
If it is covered under an extended warranty, I would have an Audi shop do it. I use the dealer for all warranty work and an independent that specializes in Audi/VW for everything else.

I am not sure what the part is exactly, but lower control arms go for $300, upper links for $200, $1,000 would seem reasonable for both if that is the case.

Last edited by spence341; 02-23-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spence341
If it is covered under an extended warranty, I would have an Audi shop do it. I use the dealer for all warranty work and an independent that specializes in Audi/VW for everything else.

I am not sure what the part is exactly, but lower control arms go for $300, upper links for $200, $1,000 would seem reasonable for both if that is the case.
I really hate to give the dealer any business since the last screwjob they gave me but you might be right.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember with my B5 A4 that the control arms were only a few hundred dollars more. Probably be worth it to replace them instead of just the bushings.

just my 0.02
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jersey John
I remember with my B5 A4 that the control arms were only a few hundred dollars more. Probably be worth it to replace them instead of just the bushings.

just my 0.02
The control arm kit, including inner and outer Tie Rods costs $250 from FCP Groton. I just ordered them and installed them. Very happy. Otherwise, you can find kits for under $600 at many places online. The labor is not too difficult. But since you're having it done under warranty, I would do the whole set up, including inner and outer Tie Rods. Unless, you want to do this again in a couple of years.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toddstebleton@mac.com
The control arm kit, including inner and outer Tie Rods costs $250 from FCP Groton. I just ordered them and installed them. Very happy. Otherwise, you can find kits for under $600 at many places online. The labor is not too difficult. But since you're having it done under warranty, I would do the whole set up, including inner and outer Tie Rods. Unless, you want to do this again in a couple of years.
PS. The reason you get that price is through a "group buy" from Audizine. Just tell them you want the group buy if you decide to go that route.

There is a lot of discussion on which control arms to get (Meyle, Febi, etc). If you do it through the dealer, they will obviously use factory. But if you go independent, you might want to research a little. This forum is a good place to start along with the other Audi forums.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My local Audi USA dealer told me today that the bushings were worn out on the front upper control arms of my 2005/6 Audi A6. Total repair cost of $1,700 (parts & labor) including alignment.

FCP Groton's web site shows upper control arms costing $55.

Although I am CPO, dealer says this is normal wear and not covered under Audi CPO.

There appears to be a lot of daylight between a $55 part and a $1,700 total bill. Advice would be welcome.

Originally Posted by toddstebleton@mac.com
PS. The reason you get that price is through a "group buy" from Audizine. Just tell them you want the group buy if you decide to go that route.

There is a lot of discussion on which control arms to get (Meyle, Febi, etc). If you do it through the dealer, they will obviously use factory. But if you go independent, you might want to research a little. This forum is a good place to start along with the other Audi forums.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Control arm question