A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Deal on torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check where the spare tires. There should be a small sheet of codes. Most likely it's HWE, HWD or HYR.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jimingle10
How do i find my tranny code? It is a 2005 A6 4.2L with BNK motor. I'm swapping a used motor into it and would like to do the TC while its apart. This would save me a fat stack!
Your tranny code is on the tranny plate too if you have access to it. My Audi dealer parts guy was able to give me the code with my VIN.

Also, this deal is real. You can order through Audi as well as VW. I called the the dealer parts guy - they get a monthly printout of older parts stock VW/Audi is trying to dispense with. Audi can order only parts that fit Audi. Same for VW. Many of the parts fit both so they can be ordered by either. My parts guy checked the warehouse in NJ and sure enough there were 2 torque converters in stock for $199. He ordered me one - should be here tomorrow. Unbelievable - paid over $1250 for the converter on my C5.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg617
Your tranny code is on the tranny plate too if you have access to it. My Audi dealer parts guy was able to give me the code with my VIN.

Also, this deal is real. You can order through Audi as well as VW. I called the the dealer parts guy - they get a monthly printout of older parts stock VW/Audi is trying to dispense with. Audi can order only parts that fit Audi. Same for VW. Many of the parts fit both so they can be ordered by either. My parts guy checked the warehouse in NJ and sure enough there were 2 torque converters in stock for $199. He ordered me one - should be here tomorrow. Unbelievable - paid over $1250 for the converter on my C5.

I ordered one also but I don't think it's the correct one for my car. My tranny is HLL. Would it fit anyway? I'm wondering what the difference is...if its physically different or just has a different stall speed
Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

HLL is on the list. Your good.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered one also but I don't think it's the correct one for my car. My tranny is HLL. Would it fit anyway? I'm wondering what the difference is...if its physically different or just has a different stall speed
Let us know if it fits. I was just about to send my TC out to be remanufactured. 2005 A6 4.2 BNK, HLL trans code (same as yours).

Why are you replacing the engine? Did it puke the timing components?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ProtoFly
Let us know if it fits. I was just about to send my TC out to be remanufactured. 2005 A6 4.2 BNK, HLL trans code (same as yours).

Why are you replacing the engine? Did it puke the timing components?
That is the assumption, multiple misfires on bank 1, can't find anything else wrong with it. Engine comes out today to look at timing.

I was told by audi that for transmission HLL i needed the letter "R" torque converter. ETKA shows the "M" version fitting only 3.2's as far as I can tell. I wonder if there is really any differences in it? Wish I could get a concrete answer as I already have the M version in hand. I did get quote $249.99 for a rebuild at "Precision of New Hampton, www.gopnh.com " which is what I might just do to be safe.

I did submit a question at the ZF transmission's help desk asking for some confirmation...maybe they will have an answer for me

Last edited by Jimingle10; 03-10-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Precision is where I'm sending my converter as well. Prices reasonable, warrantee is OK, although not what it would be if done at a 'regular' transmission shop.

I'm currently in the middle of my timing adventure. Sending the heads out to be resurfaced. All timing components are due in today. Still trying to figure out the best place to send the fuel injectors for cleaning and refurbishment.

How many miles on your car? Mine had 175k when the passenger side cam tensioner shed its plastic, and the chain carried it directly to the exhaust sprocket, causing it to skip a tooth.

I have pictures posted on one of the threads here. I suspect you will find a nearly identical failure mode.

Looking at the newer FSI versions of the 4.2, they have significantly revised the chain system, likely resulting in better reliability.

-Darryl
Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is the assumption, multiple misfires on bank 1, can't find anything else wrong with it. Engine comes out today to look at timing.
Just a heads up: You might be able to tell if there's a timing problem simply by pulling the valve covers, and verifying that the cams line up properly at the front of the engine. In my case, the passenger side exhaust cam was not lining up with the other three. If you've seen pictures, you probably know what I'm talking about. There's slots in the cams for a timing setup bar.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was told by audi that for transmission HLL i needed the letter "R" torque converter. ETKA shows the "M" version fitting only 3.2's as far as I can tell. I wonder if there is really any differences in it?
The TC is the same. Audi revises there parts with no notice.
M to R, R being the latest revised version and M being 5 back.

What I'm say is higher the lettering the newer revised version,
lower the older the version is(A-Z).

Looks like your tech's don't know or should I say they shouldn't be trusted.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

For the record, they are not the 'SAME'

09L-323-571-M is superseded by 09L-323-571-Q

The T/C for my 4.2 (HLL) is physically a bit beefier. The current superseded T/C for my car is 09L-323-571-R

That being said, it will bolt up. I'm too skeptical about it I can't find any application of 09L-323-571-M or 09L-323-571-Q with a v8 motor. I'm opting to have mine rebuilt at Precision and re-sell this converter. If I could have found an application of it in like an S4 I would have thrown it in there but not looking to have T/C failure in the near future.

**EDIT**

The shipping time to Precision of New Hampton was too long and too expensive to overnight, they suggested a shop local to me they deal with. Turns out this place is only 15 min from me. Similar pricing and they have cores in stock whereas Precision didn't. http://www.transtar1.com/default.asp

Last edited by Jimingle10; 03-20-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Deal on torque converter