A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Dealer broke CD Changer Can a Dension500 Completly REPLACE It?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer broke CD Changer Can a Dension500 Completly REPLACE It?

Sorry for the rant...

I took my Audi into see if my MMI Controller was shot(MMI would NOT start). It ended up being my Bluetooth module which I had suspected would be the next option.

Anyhow after they tried a tester mmi controller, they re-installed my original mmi board, and installed a new bluetooth unit. Everything started up fine and was functioning correctly. At least I thought until I tried to switch it to the CD Changer. The MMI Screen displayed "Device Fault" and the CD Changer lights were flashing. I called them and they preformed the" Ring test" and everything checked out according to them. They say my cd changer has a mechanical fault and needs to be replaced. IT WORKED BEFORE, i could load and eject all CD's just fine. They are refusing to fix the option, unless I pay to do so.

So with that said, Can I install a dension to REPLACE the CD Player? Or must I have a functioning CD Player to do the install?

Any ideas of what the dealer may have done to the CD Changer? IT will NOT play any audio and CD can not be ejected or loaded. The Light alternate in a flashing pattern. Could this be a component protection? But if it was wouldn't it at least play but beep every other second?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure they don't need to code the cd changer back in again??

You can use a dension in place of the CD changer, I used it like this for 12 months as it is just a case of unplugging the most connector from the changer and plugging it into the Dension.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe a CD changer is required for any subsequent MMI software updates.

If I were in your shoes, would definitely be doing the "look, it was working when I brought it in, and now it's not?!" incredulous dance w/ the service manager....
Old 05-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pavils

If I were in your shoes, would definitely be doing the "look, it was working when I brought it in, and now it's not?!" incredulous dance w/ the service manager....
Just reach behind the cd player and unplug the power to the device wait few and plug back in. I had a similar problem and CD reboot clear up and the unit is working again. On passenger side foot area remove top cover under the clove compartment and you should be able to fell the plug.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pavils

Sorry this was for SpeedCrazie, clicked on wrong location.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same problem with my A8. If you are handy you can take out the CD charger and open it up. you may simply have stuck CD. It is not real diffucult, you just need open the unit and push the CD to the correct place. re-seal everything, put the charger back and should work.
Note: Don't try to take the whole unit apart, just the covers so you can have access to see the CDs.
to take out the CD charger you will need special tool but it real cheap on ebay.