A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Dealer Timing chain and tensioner replacement in 2018 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Timing chain and tensioner replacement in 2018 ?

After reading up extensively on my avant a6 3.2 2007, I have a question which I'm not able to find an answer to. When I purchased this car I had the Dealer make a list of items for me to consider. a month later I went in with a coupon and asked if they recommended replacing tensioners, rails and chain as preventative maintenance. We priced it out but the tech said this is a non interface engine and with the condition he did not recommend doing that service at this time. I was all ready to shell out the cash. But they had kept the car for a 4 days, just to tell me I didn't need that service? The story gets weirder, still...

They apparently do not consider the timing chain and tensioners a maintenance issue either, so they do not recommend that service. Which I guess is fine I could have the indy tech do it.

1 year 10k miles passes, without any issues, the car is a beast... 2019 myCAREFAX tells me I have a new timing chain and tensioner installed in 2018 from the dealer who looked over my car.

Today I called to verify they did indeed replace the timing chain and tensioner without charging me. So now I'm at a loss, I'm happy, but its really hard to determine how much of the job they did. Just the upper tensioner? Or fully pulling out the engine and doing all the seals. My car leaks a bit of oil at rear main seal.

Has anyone in 2018 and 2019 had there 3.2 fsi timing serviced under warranty from the dealer. Is there a longterm recall on this that I don't know about? Where they simply doing me a solid? While I appreciate their work, I would have liked to been involved to make sure all the work to the seals was completed at the same time. Has anyone had this experience with there 3.2L FSI.

I love this engine, I understand I"ll need to clean some carbon, but that seems like a small job for such a fantastic car. I'm a noob, to this forum, I hope I'm not cluttering thing up too much. Thanks
Old 03-06-2019, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts

The 3.2L FSI V6 engine was not available in the MY 2018 or MY 2019, which are a C7 platform. IIRC, there was a recall for the timing chain tensionsers for the 3.0L supercharged V6 engine, but none for the 3.2L engine, which was the only engine for the C6 A6 Avant until A of A imported the 3.0L supercharged V6 in the last 3 years of the C6 platform. The chain tensioners that fail most often in the 3.2L are the upper tensioners, especially the driver's side. If you have access to VAG-COM (VCDS), you can check the status of the upper tensioners by reading Measuring Block 93, which displays the intake and exhaust camshaft angles. If the sum of the intake and exhaust angles is greater than ~8.0 degrees, then the upper tensioners are on their way out. For reference, the angles for my 2006 A6 Avant are currently 4.2 degrees on the driver's side, and ~2.0 degrees on the passenger side.

If the upper and lower tensioners were replaced in you 2007 A6, then the engine would have been pulled to access. Since you are indicating that a chain was replaced, then that means the engine was pulled to do that repair. And if the engine was pulled, then it would have made sense to replace all of the tensioners while the engine was out.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To clarify why I mention 2018 and 2019; those are the years of my ownership, 2007 Audi A6 C6 3.2L FSI Avant 128,000 miles. I mentioned those years to questions whether Audi dealers are managing these old 3.2L FSI maintenance and repairs differently than they had during 2005 to 2017. Probably far fewer of them on the road these days, so maybe Audi is finally offering to do favors for well kept examples with high milage, especially the Avant in the USA.

With VAGCOM I have a good chance of finding out what they did during that 4 days at the shop, and more specifically if the engine was pulled or not (I don't have it yet). If they pulled the engine and I can prove it, likely, the car had a more thorough timing change and tensioner job; but I still would not know if the guide rail were changed? What other important gaskets, seals and hardware are typically replaced during this job. Beyond finding out if the engine was pulled or not; is there any more detective work I can do to learn how complete of a timing service they did.

Do you think the tech that did the work would be willing to go over what was done during the service from 1 year ago? If I scheduled a time to meet with him/her? It almost seems as if they wanted to do this work without my knowledge, which is even more confusing.

Is there any logical reason for the dealer performing this work free of charge? They did this work just 1 month after I purchased the car. The whole situation makes me question whether this data was a mistakenly entered in my shrive history. I had spoken to them about this service, so maybe it was accidentally entered as if they had done the work?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi @forecaster There's no long-term recall as you asked and the fact is that the car is over 10 years old and well out of any warranty coverage offered by Audi. I'd be shocked if they did what you think they did - "replace the timing chain and tensioner without charging me". My hunch says at most they may have done the tensioners, but the chain would require the removal of the engine or transmission from the vehicle and would be a LOT of labor, plus the standard cost for such an endeavor at an Audi dealer would be over $8K...which is most likely more than your car is worth. So +1 on many of the things @A6Gary has stated.

All you need to ask the dealer for is a work order of what was done on your car, since every dealer has to produce these to ensure their techs are working on what and have billable hours associated with the work. It could be accidentally entered...but then again I doubt the tech will remember what car they worked from day-to-day much less one a few months ago.

BTW, an easy way to check if in fact the tensioners or perhaps the chain was done, would be to check the offset via VCDS on block 093 of your engine. If the work was done, you'd be at 0.

Last edited by raj99; 03-07-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

raj99, thanks for laying that out for me. Your explanation is the exact the way I expected the dealership to operate.

Over the phone the person told me this work was completed and paid for. Which shocked me, so that is why I enquired here. I went ahead and visited my Audi dealer today, to get to the bottom of this. The Audi maintenance record for the vehicle does indeed say my timing chain and tensioners were serviced. This propagated to the myCARFAX history. However, this service according to the work order person at Audi dealership, was not performed! They verified this, because no parts were ordered for those dates for my car. So I better get the VAGCOM too continue monitoring the timing tensioners on my own.

Very interesting, because when I look at the Audi database of the record of a my car, its possible major mistakes were made. Like in my case this shows my car had an $8000 service performed as raj said. You can only trust Audi maintenance database and CARFAX as far as you can throw them. I know data entry errors are common, but in this case by just getting a quote for work at the dealership caused the record to be updated as if the work had been done. Take service records with a grain of salt.

raj is the bank 093 at 0 the easiest way to learn the status of timing chain system?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think we can go ahead and close this thread down, mystery chain tensioner and timing chain replacement solved.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by forecaster
raj99, thanks for laying that out for me. Your explanation is the exact the way I expected the dealership to operate.

Over the phone the person told me this work was completed and paid for. Which shocked me, so that is why I enquired here. I went ahead and visited my Audi dealer today, to get to the bottom of this. The Audi maintenance record for the vehicle does indeed say my timing chain and tensioners were serviced. This propagated to the myCARFAX history. However, this service according to the work order person at Audi dealership, was not performed! They verified this, because no parts were ordered for those dates for my car. So I better get the VAGCOM too continue monitoring the timing tensioners on my own.

Very interesting, because when I look at the Audi database of the record of a my car, its possible major mistakes were made. Like in my case this shows my car had an $8000 service performed as raj said. You can only trust Audi maintenance database and CARFAX as far as you can throw them. I know data entry errors are common, but in this case by just getting a quote for work at the dealership caused the record to be updated as if the work had been done. Take service records with a grain of salt.

raj is the bank 093 at 0 the easiest way to learn the status of timing chain system?
Measuring block 093 will give you the phase values for the camshafts relative to the crankshaft. 0 would mean perfect synchronization:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-93-a-2853943/
Old 03-09-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to keep this thread alive, but where exactly in the Bentley are the intake and exhaust camshaft angles listed? The only thing I found remotely was a dtc listing (pg12 of 49), which had anything over 9 degrees being a issue. I
might be looking in the wrong spot, I was just curious anyhow.
Danny