A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Design issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design issues

Well today was a bad day( Ill make a long story short), climbed into my 05 4.2 and it doesnt start with the keyless , I put the key in and the key gets locked in its place and dosent want to get out. So I was like... well the battery is out, so I get the battery out of the key( still locked on the dash) call my secretary and asked her to go and get me a cr2032 battery for my key, key battery gets replaced and nothing goes on, so I figure, I will reset the system by unpluging the main battery, I do so and still doesnt work.Its getting late,I let the car open and with the keys on , near a teenage bar( lots of drunks at night)(I wasnt in the bar, I was in a store next to it), and head home, I come back with my spare key and noting happens, so I figure... I wont let the car open with teh key on all night , so I call a Flat bed to take it to the Audi dealer, the Flat bed gets there, He has to take the ashtray out to unlock the transmission ( take it to Neutral to move it), but somehow the parking brake is on, and neither The tow driver nor me knows how to get the parking brake out if the car doesnt start.
To get the car on the flatbed was a mess, the wheels didnt move so he pulls the car and it slides with the weels locked, ) one rim gets little scratched on the way up the tow. the driver has to stop three lines of traffic for five minutes on rush our to get into position to pick the car up.( many people pissed)
the car is in the dealer now and tomorrow Ill see what was wrong with it.
Any way Its not a big deal that the car has a problem and that it doesnt want to start, but the fact that the key got stuck in the dash and couldnt get out,
the fact that I couldnt lock the car even with my spare key,
The fact that even with the key on, its a mess to get the car out of parking( the ash tray thing),
and the fact that the parking brake couldnt be released without the car on, are design issues that I canot understand. so much technology and it fails with simple things like that...
Im pissed? yes, love the car? yes
but this sucks... any thoughts?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Yes, I agree with you. I think that the Germans are forgeting the KISS principle...

Keep It Simple, Stupid! I would much rather have all of the electrical high-tech gizmos (e.g., MMI) as options, and then just have a manual parking brake lever, manual glovebox door, and a manual transmission that you can put in neutral to move a dead car. Less cost, less problems, and greater reliability would be the result (plus a lot less owner frustration). But, welcome to today's automotove world!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds like your battery is low/dead.

I have had these exact symptoms with the Q7 (2 times to be exact), ended up the battery had enough of a charge to turn on accessories but not enough to start the car.

My remedy both times was just charging the battery, it has been 6 months or so since the problem has occured.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Sounds like your battery is low/dead.

What about the key stucked in the dash?
What about the Parking brake that couldnt get released?
What about the transmission stuked in P?
It had battery for the lights, so I would guess it should let release the parking brake or the transmision
Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Design issues

Common problem?<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/c6a6/msgs/49717.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/c6a6/msgs/49717.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 09-03-2008, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Sounds like your battery is low/dead.

Yup key stuck in dash, I could get it in and turn but then it wouldnt come out. I had to hook up a battery charger to get it out.

The first time it did this, I tried to push the Q out of the garage in order to jump start it. I was able to shift the car out of park and into neutral but not back into park. I decided against jump starting it and purchased a battery charger.

The Q7 doesn't have an electrical Parking Brake so I am not sure how that would have reacted but I am going to get the S6 manual to look up how to release the PBrake in a power failure if there is a way.

Trying to start the Q in this state it wasn't initially obvious that the battery was low. The accessory lights were all bright, there was no clicking noise when trying to start the engine like a battery that has a charge but not enough to fully start.

After a few hour charge from a battery charger it started right up with no problems.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You would think that ton of lead in the trunk of the S6

could handle charging an Ipod and listening to music for 30 minutes without breaking a sweat.

Are the batteries in the A6 the same size as the batteries in the S6?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Same problem - Audi roadside started it with a booster then....

From there I went straight to the dealer, for this and various lingering electronics problems required a new MMI unit and '08 software. It took a week to hammer everything out. MMI's fault, apparently it doesn't always power down 100%, so after a weekend of sitting, the battery went dead.

Anyway all under warrantee. This happened about two weeks ago, with at about 47,500 mileson the ODO.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Plus the fact that electronics is never VW/Audi's strongest department.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the S6 battery is bigger - it looks quite big compared to my A6.

Quick Reply: Design issues