A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Detailed today. PICS with side marker delete.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default So is there any light coming through?

Also, any Safety issues or is there enough other lighting making it not needed?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryS4
Mine is set to ROW (rest of world), so that the corner marker lights are disabled and the LED DRLs are on all the time.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chuckee98
What paint did you use on the reflectors? It doesn't look like a 100% match. It does, however, look good regardless, much better than the original orange reflector.

When I did mine, I used the OEM spray paint & clear that I bought from the dealership parts department, and it didn't match 100% either. Still looks better than orange.
I just went to the local auto parts store and I brought in the tow hook cap to try to matc it against one of the spray paint caps.

Definitely not 100% and right after doing it I told myself I will definitely try to match. After seeing the car the last 2 days I barely noticed it so I will probably just keep it the way it is.

BTW- I didnt know the dealer sold touch up paint in spray can form. DO they usually stock these items?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JerryS4
I have 3 or 4 coats of black primer followed by 3 coats of white. It still bled through a little so I may just paint the bulb with high heat black paint.

As for the safety thing, Orange is a DOT rule and every car sold in the US must have the orange reflector somewhere in the front. The rest of the world doesn't think its needed.

For me I just dont like the look and lucky for us C6 owners the reflector is not embedded into the headlight assembly. I Believe the A5 & S5 guys are not as lucky. Some people go to the extent of buying euro headlights just to be able to get rid of the orange.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fe342185
After seeing the car the last 2 days I barely noticed it so I will probably just keep it the way it is.

BTW- I didnt know the dealer sold touch up paint in spray can form. DO they usually stock these items?
I feel the same way. I only notice the difference when I'm close to the car, and looking directly at it. Otherwise, it's too much trouble to redo it. And then I would have to also recover it with PPF to match the rest of the bumper.

The dealer sells the paint as a kit with a can of base color and a can of clear topcoat. They also have touch up pens. Both aren't stocked and need to be ordered.

Originally Posted by fe342185
I have 3 or 4 coats of black primer followed by 3 coats of white. It still bled through a little so I may just paint the bulb with high heat black paint.
Some of the other guys have just resorted to pulling the light bulb and connector out of the assembly and letting it hang inside the fender well, with a ziptie to keep it from bouncing around. Much easier than painting the bulb.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not sure if you sealed and waxed or just waxed, but what did you use to seal the paint?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 05whtaudia6
Not sure if you sealed and waxed or just waxed, but what did you use to seal the paint?
I put 2 coats of clearcoat after painting then I wax the car. Actually I use glaze instead of wax. IT's much easier than wax with the same result but no white residue when you accidentally hit the black parts.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckee98
Mine is set to ROW (rest of world), so that the corner marker lights are disabled and the LED DRLs are on all the time.
You have the S6 LED??

Im installing mine next week and will need to recode through vag-com for DRL to stay on full brightness all the time..,

can you send me a PM detailing what you did?

Thanks

PS. Pertaining to this topic, I am having my body shop eliminate the orange side marker holes. Fingers crossed it will look OEM
Old 05-26-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
You have the S6 LED??

Im installing mine next week and will need to recode through vag-com for DRL to stay on full brightness all the time..,

can you send me a PM detailing what you did?

Thanks

PS. Pertaining to this topic, I am having my body shop eliminate the orange side marker holes. Fingers crossed it will look OEM

I have an S6. Recoding allows the DRLs to stay on all the time, full brightness during the day, and dimmed with the lights on. I don't believe that recoding for ROW will work for LED DRLs retrofitted into A6's.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Car looks clean and the wheels fit the car well. I removed the bulb from the holder and used electrical tape to attach them inside the car - no light (I think).

Quick Reply: Detailed today. PICS with side marker delete.