A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Diesel Engine Sound with Extreme Cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diesel Engine Sound with Extreme Cold

Hi all, just wanted to share my experience with this past fridgit temperatures wave we just when through. Yesterday and today when I started my car cold there was a sound that sounded like a diesel engine coming out of my engine bay. Yesterday I did not bother with the sound because I figured that it was way too cold and may be that's why it was happening. This morning I stopped the engine in the middle of the sound and checked the oil. Oil is almost due for change but the level was good. Started the engine again to hear the sound again. Both days the sound went away a couple of minutes later. If it matters, I used Castrol 5/40 on my last oil change. Has anyone else experinced this? Should I be worried?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Same here.

Yesterday morning it was -4 and when I started the engine, it sounded diesel even after warming up for 5+ minutes.

I guess it is the extreme cold that restricts the proper flow of engine oil.

My car is an '05 4.2Q
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM
hsp
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about a rough idle along with louder than normal noise coming out of the exhaust? This is normal until vehicle gets up to normal operating temps. I live in Colorado and in cold morning (under 20 degrees F), the roughness usually lasts for less than five minutes.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I am sad to say that when I got out of work today it was about 27°F and it happened again. This time it was a little louder than the two previous times. Once the car warms up it goes away but if this is normal I do have a problem with it. To start I had the car last winter and this did not happened to it. Second I do not need that kind of head turning reaction. How do I fix it? Any one know what's happeneing other than, it is cold?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Well, I am sad to say that when I got out of work today it was about 27°F and it happened again. This time it was a little louder than the two previous times. Once the car warms up it goes away but if this is normal I do have a problem with it. To start I had the car last winter and this did not happened to it. Second I do not need that kind of head turning reaction. How do I fix it? Any one know what's happeneing other than, it is cold?
2011 A6 3.0T here in MA as well, no loud sound the last few cold morning.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Hi all, just wanted to share my experience with this past fridgit temperatures wave we just when through. Yesterday and today when I started my car cold there was a sound that sounded like a diesel engine coming out of my engine bay. Yesterday I did not bother with the sound because I figured that it was way too cold and may be that's why it was happening. This morning I stopped the engine in the middle of the sound and checked the oil. Oil is almost due for change but the level was good. Started the engine again to hear the sound again. Both days the sound went away a couple of minutes later. If it matters, I used Castrol 5/40 on my last oil change. Has anyone else experinced this? Should I be worried?

An obvious question but, are you using a good quality diesel. (winter grade)?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by royclark
An obvious question but, are you using a good quality diesel. (winter grade)?
In the USA we do not have Diesel A6 engines, but my gasoline engine is sounding like one in extreme cold weather.