A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

DIY Front Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Front Brake

I replaced my front brakes last year. Attached is the DIY with step by step instructions on replacing the brakes. This was my first time replacing the brakes on any car. I feel good and proud having done it myself.

I hope this helps the folks on this forum.

Mods ( if there is anyone listening): Can we please make this a sticky. I'll use r1racers 55k DIY thread and upload these instructions there if this is not made a sticky.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A6FrontBrakeDIY.pdf (258.3 KB, 2312 views)
Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very cool! Thanks for posting this!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So from what I understand, there are three different setups for Front Brakes on the C6.. Anyone have any idea, which models are different? I believe there are two single piston breaks, and one possible double piston setup.

These instructions don't really match what I did on my 05 4.2L Quattro with Sports Package..

I undid 4 Torx bolts, and the caliper came in half. Made it easy to get the pads off. The little plastic covers simply cover some sort of a slider mechanism..
Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
I replaced my front brakes last year. Attached is the DIY with step by step instructions on replacing the brakes. This was my first time replacing the brakes on any car. I feel good and proud having done it myself.

Mods ( if there is anyone listening): Can we please make this a sticky. I'll use r1racers 55k DIY thread and upload these instructions there if this is not made a sticky.
Thanks Great Job!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great DIY, thanks. I tried to do it last weekend without getting a DIY instructions and came across the nasty surprise of the 7mm hex bolt. It was the only size I didn't have in my tool box (apparently, it's not a common size).

The brake pad replacement has been postponed till next weekend.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jants13
So from what I understand, there are three different setups for Front Brakes on the C6.. Anyone have any idea, which models are different? I believe there are two single piston breaks, and one possible double piston setup.
the different set ups must be
and maybe 3.0?

not sure about pistons

Originally Posted by jants13
These instructions don't really match what I did on my 05 4.2L Quattro with Sports Package.. I undid 4 Torx bolts, and the caliper came in half. Made it easy to get the pads off. The little plastic covers simply cover some sort of a slider mechanism..
the plastic cover should cover torx or hex bolts... the calipers dont split in half but u can wigle them off... easier to undo, redo, retorque 2 vs 4. my local dealer audi tech told me thats how its done.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by am_ver

Great post. The only suggestion i have is using this method http://youtu.be/mtsTJCRljAs when you have stuck rotors, works great. You may need to modified a bit. Also thanks for posting the the torque specs on the slide bolts, i counldn't find it anywhere.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pete107
Great post. The only suggestion i have is using this method http://youtu.be/mtsTJCRljAs when you have stuck rotors, works great. You may need to modified a bit. Also thanks for posting the the torque specs on the slide bolts, i counldn't find it anywhere.
wow the shinto music method really impressive.
I am confused about meaning of the second nut on the bolt. Would you elaborate why they put it?

thank
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by beep-beep
I am confused about meaning of the second nut on the bolt. Would you elaborate why they put it?

thank
Probably to protect the threads of the bolt so there would be no trouble removing the bolt.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by beep-beep

thank
The second nut is not really necessary unless you're thinking about reusing the rotor. The nut closest to the rotor is used to minimize the damage to the surface of the rotor. In my situation I used one bolt, one nut, and one washer with a smaller diameter than the bolt because of space limitations. Other than the stuck rotors and maybe working the calipers off the rotors during disassembly, changing the front pads and rotors was pretty easy.