A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autel MaxiEST 201 EPB (Electronic Parking Brake Tool)

Hi,

I have managed to source this product which looks identical too the one you recommended, available in ther uk. Before i buy this, does the instructions indicate where in the A6 to connect this product?

Many thanks for your assistance so far.

James

http://www.autotec-direct.com/autel-...tool-719-p.asp
Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its going to connect to the standard OBDII/CAN port which is near the hood release. It uses that to talk to the systems to dis-engage the eletromagnetic brake.

Dixit
Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What my point in all this was not that someone that wrenches on their own luxury car is cheap or ignorant, hell I feel pretty good when I fix something myself. My point was that given the first post from James asked the question if doing the rear brakes was even possible by yourself. Taking that as a clue I chose to give the nice man the two options that were step by step, and would insure he didn't do any irreversable damage to his car. Yes some of us can take the car apart bolt by bolt and put it back together again without messing anything up. Giving someone the advanced option when they don't even know if DIY is even a possibility is not a prudent move. Then the second post from James in this thread just solidified my suspicions that giving him the easiest and fail proof way was the way to go.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool it guys.. you are both knowledgeable and helpful folks trying to help. Please keep in mind that others are entitled to their opinion - you might not agree with it, but don't hate them for thinking differently.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default DIY Rear Brake Replacement using Autel MaxiEST 201 EPB Service Tool

Can anyone assist me here.

I purchased the MaxiEST tool to which is supposed to work on a Audi A6 from 2004 onwards.

Over the last two days i have been trying to use the MaxiEST est 201 service tool without sucess.

Basically to recap, I attempted to use the tool on my 2007 Audi A6 2.0 tdi SE saloon without success. I followed the procedure within the handbook to the letter and when i got the option 3 (page 11 of the instruction booklet) to deactivate the brake, i then selected option 1 for pad change and i got the error message that the selected function is not supported.
I contacted the company I bought the product off, who sent me a update . I unzipped the file and used it to update my service tool using the Maxilink software I put onto my computer with the CD rom provided. I got the same error message.

This morning I went onto the Autel website http://www.auteltech.com/upest201.htm and downloaded their latest update, and when I attempted to use the tool again was unable to display the screen under step 1 on page 11 of their instruction manual. I enclose the following photos to assist, although I struggled to get my camera to focus:

1. Photo 001 – Screen as of step 1 on page 11 of user manual during initial attempt and also after first update. (Not able to get this screen to display correctly after last update. Photo 003 refers.
2. Photo 002 – Screen displaying message that the selected function (after pressing option 1 for pad change) was not supported (I got this on my first two attempts)
3. Photo 003 – View of screen after installing update from Autel website. This should have contained the four options to read codes, erase codes, deactivate brake and activate brake, but as can be seen, it did not and froze.

My brake pads are needing replacement and having purchased this tool and the pads, I am loathed to have to take it to a dealer to have them fitted and so I am hoping that someone may be able to assist me in resolving the problem.
I have contacted the retailer i bought it off and also e-mailed the manufacturer.

I connected a battery charger as the posting by Kermer based on the B6 Passat as suggested.

Many regards,

Jim
Attached Images    
Old 03-28-2010, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kemer1
Sooo you gonna pay the man to replace his calipers after he destroys them? Why the hell does someone that drives a 50+K car want to take shortcuts that will in the end cost him almost 2grand to replace and have to take it to the dealer to do correctly. This is just plain old ignorance.
I did it just fine. I dont have the use of a vag com so I did it manually which was a pain but worked just fine. You have to spin the piston for the e-brake whilst applying pressure. Its tough. Honestly, I would just find a vag...
Old 03-29-2010, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Many thanks for responding. I have a tool that applies pressure and turns the caliper piston, which i used on my 2005 Audi A4.

I didnt purchase the Vag Com, because of the cost of it, as i am enthusiast who likes changing brake pads, discs (rotors), brake fluid, oil, filters etc.

I purchased the tool i have on a recommendation from Kemer1 and am still hopeful that either the manufacturer or the supplier i bought it off might be able to resolve the problems i have.

However, if not, are you suggesting that if i use the tool i used on the A4, on the rear caliper of the A6. that i will be able to retract the piston sufficient to allow the fitting of new pads, without the elctronic handbrake being compromised. I was under the impression that the diagnostic tool retracts the piston further back than the position it takes when the handrake is released when pressing the button in the car.

If i manually force the piston back by a combination of pressure and rotation (as A4), will this not confuse the car when i try to use the electronic handbrake.

Look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Many Regards,

Jim
Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JamesM
Many thanks for responding. I have a tool that applies pressure and turns the caliper piston, which i used on my 2005 Audi A4.

I didnt purchase the Vag Com, because of the cost of it, as i am enthusiast who likes changing brake pads, discs (rotors), brake fluid, oil, filters etc.

I purchased the tool i have on a recommendation from Kemer1 and am still hopeful that either the manufacturer or the supplier i bought it off might be able to resolve the problems i have.

However, if not, are you suggesting that if i use the tool i used on the A4, on the rear caliper of the A6. that i will be able to retract the piston sufficient to allow the fitting of new pads, without the elctronic handbrake being compromised. I was under the impression that the diagnostic tool retracts the piston further back than the position it takes when the handrake is released when pressing the button in the car.

If i manually force the piston back by a combination of pressure and rotation (as A4), will this not confuse the car when i try to use the electronic handbrake.

Look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Many Regards,

Jim
I too am curious.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have changed the rear brakes a few times with no issues, i was told it it extremely important to cycle the e brake before you start. By cycle i mean, using your ebrake button, set the ebrake wait a few then release the ebrake.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i just put a 3rd set of pads on a6 for a friend, i did mine and 2 others with a electric park brake,its simple,all you have to do is remove the motor,use a torx bit and spin the puck in or out not sure witch way i spun it,then press the caliper piston in for new pads,bolt motor back on ,activate hand brake after all is done a couple times,,,piece of cake!
The following users liked this post:
das60 (04-23-2020)

Quick Reply: DIY Rear Brake Pad Replacement