A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no knowledge nor experience with any of the electronic tools listed.
But I do own that brake tool kit and I don't know how I ever lived without it! It makes brake jobs so much easier!

I still don't understand how anyone has done this without the electronic tools, when so many folks swear it's absolutely impossible without it.

Turborusty
Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
caf
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by emkawarrior
Just follow the ross-tech instructions... if it's the "VChecker PRO" model it works perfectly... if it's just the "VChecker", it will just read the data. You must "Enter" the data for it to work also, (flip the number with the arrow then "ENTER" to send it to to car's ECU).

The only think I will say is the manual for the Vchecker Pro is awful... but if you follow the VCDS or Bentley instructions is works like a champ.
OK, what do you mean by "flip" the number? And where is there an ENTER key:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C6_A6-...er_Pro/ES9950/
Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was under the impression that if you force the rear piston back in, you will damage the electronic parking brake assembly.

Turborusty
Old 01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turborusty
I was under the impression that if you force the rear piston back in, you will damage the electronic parking brake assembly. Turborusty
Turborusty. let me understand better..

A--- u use this Schwaben tool

B--- u dont use vag cable

C--- with this Schwaben tool u dont consider this "forcing the piston back" but u do consider using c clamps and such as force

If yes then i agree with u... i guess what i am after is to see if anyone would advise to strictly do it via VAG-COM and would even advise not using the Schwaben tool .. anyone with opinion or experience please comment
Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
Turborusty. let me understand better..

A--- u use this Schwaben tool

B--- u dont use vag cable

C--- with this Schwaben tool u dont consider this "forcing the piston back" but u do consider using c clamps and such as force

If yes then i agree with u... i guess what i am after is to see if anyone would advise to strictly do it via VAG-COM and would even advise not using the Schwaben tool .. anyone with opinion or experience please comment
Sorry if I was confusing. I have used that tool for many brake jobs, but not for any with electronic parking brake. That tool does force the piston back in, just far easier and more graceful than a c-clamp.

I've been told, more than once, that forcing the piston back in will cause damage to the EPB. Therefore, the use of a VAG-COM or other suitable code reader/scanner is the appropriate method.

Turborusty
Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by caf
OK, what do you mean by "flip" the number? And where is there an ENTER key:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C6_A6-...er_Pro/ES9950/

Enter Key is the Left key (which us Americans would put ont he RIGHT, but it's from China =-). By "Flip" I mean you need to set the number per the instructions.

Open Rear Parking Brake

Prerequisites:

* Connect a battery charger as per repair manual. See Special Notes
* Cycle the Parking Brake ON, then OFF first.

[Select]
[53 - Parking Brake]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 007
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The brake calipers will then open, allowing the pads to be changed.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

It is normal for the LED in the parking brake switch and the warning lamp in the instrument cluster to blink rapidly at this point.

The caliper pistons do not move back into the caliper, this is normal. The scan tool can now be disconnected and ignition shut off while mechanical repairs are performed.
Close Rear Parking Brake

I've modifed the VCDS Instuctions to fit more with the VCheckerPro

MAIN MENU - CONTROL MODULES
Scroll to [53 - Parking Brake] (They're in Spiffy Random Order)
Select [Basic Settings] <ENTER> (Left Key)
For Channel enter 7 <ENTER> (Left Key)
The Brakes will open, and the Brake light/warning will blink (To basically warn you it's in lock open mode).

Complete your brake work...
Select [Basic Settings - 04] <ENTER>
For Channel enter 6 <ENTER>

Brakes will then Close... Exit back to the main menu, and remove the tool.

To stop the blinking you need to cycle the brake switch one cycle (on-off), and everything will reset.
should stop after cycling the Parking Brake ON, then OFF again.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:02 AM
caf
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by emkawarrior
Enter Key is the Left key (which us Americans would put ont he RIGHT, but it's from China =-). By "Flip" I mean you need to set the number per the instructions.

Open Rear Parking Brake

Prerequisites:

* Connect a battery charger as per repair manual. See Special Notes
* Cycle the Parking Brake ON, then OFF first.

[Select]
[53 - Parking Brake]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 007
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The brake calipers will then open, allowing the pads to be changed.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

It is normal for the LED in the parking brake switch and the warning lamp in the instrument cluster to blink rapidly at this point.

The caliper pistons do not move back into the caliper, this is normal. The scan tool can now be disconnected and ignition shut off while mechanical repairs are performed.
Close Rear Parking Brake

I've modifed the VCDS Instuctions to fit more with the VCheckerPro

MAIN MENU - CONTROL MODULES
Select [Basic Settings] <ENTER> (Left Key)
For Channel enter 7 <ENTER> (Left Key)
The Brakes will open, and the Brake light/warning will blink (To basically warn you it's in lock open mode).

Complete your brake work...
Select [Basic Settings - 04] <ENTER>
For Channel enter 6 <ENTER>

Brakes will then Close... Exit back to the main menu, and remove the tool.

To stop the blinking you need to cycle the brake switch one cycle (on-off), and everything will reset.
should stop after cycling the Parking Brake ON, then OFF again.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm going to try this with my VChecker Pro tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
caf
AudiWorld Member

Default SUCCESS!!

I tried opening and closing the electronic parking brake using emkawarrior's instructions using the VChecker Pro. It worked!

My only tip would be that it took a slightly longer press on the enter key (the left one) to initiate brake opening. I think I may have actually hit the enter key when I tried this previously, but maybe not long enough. It took a longer press of the key than when just acknowledging menu commands.

So I guess I will now endorse the VChecker Pro as a reasonable, much cheaper alternative to the Vag-com for brake work. As I previously noted, however, it's still pretty easy to do the rear brakes by just removing the two torx bolts holding on the EPB motor, however.

Emkawarrior, since you seem to be the resident expert on the VChecker Pro, do you think it could be used for adding the parking sensor pictogram:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2797322

That's a modification that I think would be nice.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

I'm about change my rear brakes with out vagcom, what model you have? Mine is A6 2005+ c6
Tell me was it really easy task, no tight spots?
Thanks,

Ali...
Old 06-24-2016, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default It is possible...

It is possible to replace the rear pads without any software. It took me a lot of figuring out, but we figured out how to get the caliper piston in without damaging it. Basically, we had to unbolt the electronic motor from the caliper (2 torx screws). The motor assembly pulls straight off with a little persuasion to reveal a spline drive input on the back of the caliper. We used a torx bit (allen would probably work too) to screw in the e-brake piston (the e brake motor operates a piston on a screw,internal to the actual caliper piston). Once the screw is all the way in, the e-brake piston is backed off, and the caliper piston can be pushed in easily.

Quick Reply: DIY Rear Brake Pad Replacement