A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Does anyone wax their wheels? With what? Anyone use a spray wax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone wax their wheels? With what? Anyone use a spray wax?

I wax to fight off the effects of brake dust but hate the process of getting in all the nooks and crannies. Love to ear what works. I have traditionally used Meguiar's paste wax.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Armor all wheel protectant is a spray and it works fabulously - Basically hose off the brake dust.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used Wheel Wax on my wheels before putting my summer setup back on the car. The application wasn't all that hard, although the removal was a bit of a pain as getting all the wax off is time consuming. So far, it seems like the wax is helping and once it stops raining every time I have a chance to wash to car, I'll actually be able to see if it truly is easier to clean the wheels.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

There area a couple new products on the market that are approaching "permanent". They'll be far more durable than a wax or sealant. I applied the stuff to my wheels a couple weeks ago:

If you use wheel cleaner on a regular basis, that will quickly strip conventional sealants/waxes. As noted above, the AA wheel spray is an interesting solution to the heavy brake dust build up.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your ultimate solution begins with good brake pads that don't dust to the extent that it's such an issue.

Many of the low/no dust pads are better performing than the stock-type soot producers.

Turborusty
Old 04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
Armor all wheel protectant is a spray and it works fabulously - Basically hose off the brake dust.
This is what I use as well and can go three plus weeks with very little dust on my wheels.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
There area a couple new products on the market that are approaching "permanent". They'll be far more durable than a wax or sealant. I applied the stuff to my wheels a couple weeks ago:
what exactly did u apply? how would u rate it?

i use Prima Wheel Armour...its a paste on sealer that lasts a few months depending on use

i got mine from Phil @ Detailers Domain

last i spoke with him he also put me onto

OptiCoat wheel sealant

i use and love Sonax to clean the wheels

when i run out of Prima Wheel Armour ... i am considering the following

another Prima Wheel Armour
Wheel Wax
PoorBoys wheel sealant
OptiCoat 2.0
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
what exactly did u apply? how would u rate it?

Mainland, the stuff I'm using is the OptiCoat 2.0:

I've done 1 set of wheels so far. I've done most of my wife's Avant, may try to finish it this weekend.

My '11 car has the dust-less pads from the factory so it's tough for me to truly gage how good it might be. Others with dusty pads say it's a huge benefit. I'll tell ya, things are really clean after the car is driven in the rain and that's what others are finding too.

Some of the guys are coming up on three years of their endurance test, and beading and general protection still seems to be as good as when first applied. I think this product is well-suited to a car that sits out all the time and for owners who don't have the time patience to maintain the vehicle to a pristine condition.

I think the OptiCoat is going to be best applied to new or like-new surfaces...that's where it will really shine, IMO.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have only used Klasse AIO for wheels - though I have Akebono pads, so no brake dust. Love it!!

Sonax wheel cleaners work great and I'd think the stuff you apply to the car can go on the wheels too.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668006
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will second the motion to tackle the root of the problem first: get low-dust pads. I switched to Akebono pads for this reason. I then applied Zaino products to my wheels before installing them. There's really not that much to it when they're off the car. I've been happy with Zaino (particularly on the body of the car), but the OptiCoat sounds very intriguing.