A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Does Check Engine Light Auto Reset after a while???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Check Engine Light Auto Reset after a while???

I was performing the 3M Tune Up In a Bottle procedure and in the process lodged the spray hose in the throttle blade which in tern turned on the Check Engine light. The vehicle does not give me any codes or faults thru MMI so my question is if this condition no longer exists will the check engine light go off after so many power cycles or will I have to spend money on VAGCOM??

Thank you
Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It should go off after a few cycles. If it doesn't, you could try removing the negative battery cable for a few minutes.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dejanat
I was performing the 3M Tune Up In a Bottle procedure and in the process lodged the spray hose in the throttle blade which in tern turned on the Check Engine light. The vehicle does not give me any codes or faults thru MMI so my question is if this condition no longer exists will the check engine light go off after so many power cycles or will I have to spend money on VAGCOM??

Thank you
Most of the codes have a reset counter which is decremented every start-stop cycle. A common number for the rest is 40 cycles so it can take some time for the light to go off. You can reset it with a VAG-COM or OBDII tester remove the battery cable as suggested by tenspeed. The problem with removing the battery cable is that you may loose some other settings.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

removing the battery cables does not work!!! I dont know why so many people on this forum seem to think so. its a Keep alive memory that will not just go away. You can remove the ecu from the car with no power to it for months, put it back in and still see the same codes remain. Stop wasting time and loosing the default radio and window auto down memory...
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CEL will reset after certain number of starts, but the codes will stay logged in the ECU and must be cleared by VAG-COM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

you should know that most OBD2 readers are able to clear CELs, so you don't necessarily need to get a vag-com. Just clear the code and hope it doesn't come back
Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

or get on a VAG COM locator site and his someone reset it for you.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just to put closure to this post, my check engine light just went out on its own about a week later. Thank you for all your feedback.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Most of the codes have a reset counter which is decremented every start-stop cycle. A common number for the rest is 40 cycles so it can take some time for the light to go off. You can reset it with a VAG-COM or OBDII tester remove the battery cable as suggested by tenspeed. The problem with removing the battery cable is that you may loose some other settings.
My F5 reset number is 247 and VCDS won't clear it.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
removing the battery cables does not work!!! I dont know why so many people on this forum seem to think so. its a Keep alive memory that will not just go away. You can remove the ecu from the car with no power to it for months, put it back in and still see the same codes remain. Stop wasting time and loosing the default radio and window auto down memory...
It Did For Me. Well This Time Around. I Was Taking A 103mi Trip, About 7mi In I Hit A Bad Bump Looked Down At The Dash And Saw The Ugly Yellow Engine Light On. After Crying For The Rest Of The Trip I Ran Straight To The First Autozone I Could Find Even Before Settling In At Hotel Because Well Yeah The Ugly Light Was Giving Me Panic Attacks. Autozone Guy Gave Me The OBD I Gave Him The Code ( Only One Code ) Said Was A Turbo Underboost. Told Me First It Could Be A Glitch Or Could Be A Faulty Hose. I Drove It A Couple Cycles Light Remained On So I Prepared To Get Her Fixed. Since I Was Spending Money Which I Thought I Was Going To Have To Get New Turbo Replaced I Said Let’s Get New Everything. First Thing Was Battery Detached Old Battery DroveIt To Autozone ( In My Other Car ) Came Back And Put New Battery In, When I Started The Car The Check Engine Light Had Disappeared !!!! Now I’m Happy But Worrying If I Should Still Try To Address Turbo Issue Don’t Want Get Ripped Off In A Repair That’s Not Even Needed. Did The Battery Replacement , Me Removing It For The Short Drive Time Reset The Engine Light ? Do I Have A Problem Still ?

Quick Reply: Does Check Engine Light Auto Reset after a while???