A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Does having ESP off essentially mean the Quattro is off??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does having ESP off essentially mean the Quattro is off??

This may sound like a dumb question, but it's been bugging me for a while.

I noticed that in heavy snow, turing the ESP off actually helps improve traction. Is turning the ESP off the same as turning off the Quattro (if that's even capable of being done)?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you cannot turn quattro off unless you start taking driveline components off
Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turning off the stability program will not disable Quattro. Basically by switching off the ESP

it allows the car to slip and slide around more to find grip, while with ESP on, the moment the car is not longer pointed exactly where the steering wheel says it should, it starts to brake individual wheels or cut power.

The center differential in your car is mechanical. Very sturdy Torsen unit. The diffs at each end are open, and use the ABS sensors to detect wheels spin. When a wheel spins under power, it uses the brake to slow that spinning wheel, thereby faking the open differential into sending power to the wheel that actually does have traction. If it's not the wheel on the other side of the car, then both wheels get slowed, and the Torsen sends power to the other wheels with grip. You can park the car with 3 wheels on glare ice, and it will still send almost 80% of the power to the one wheel with grip and send you on your way. The system is known as EDL - electronic differential lock. No ESP needed.

That's why the owner's manaul says to switch off the ESP when in deep snow or stuck.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Cat Herder

I think of it as turning Quattro 'ON' actually...
Old 12-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ha ha. Don't worry, I won't be taking any parts off!!! :-)
Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the explanation. Very helpful.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How ESP works ...

<ul><li><a href="http://web.videorelay.com/1180/bosch/ESP-eng.mpg">http://web.videorelay.com/1180/bosch/ESP-eng.mpg</a</li></ul>
Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Did you see that video of where the two rear wheels of an A8 were on rollers and it was

stuck on the rollers! It just kept spinning the rear wheels not allowing it to come off the rollers. The 5 series with AWD they tested did make it off, the system cut power to the rear and allowed it to move. Interesting video I thought.

The driveway at my parent's house is an incline and last year, it was all ice. I purposefully stopped in the middle to see if I can make it up. Go Quattro! Made it up with no effort =D
Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I have personally driven both Audis and other awd cars (in controlled tests) out of sand traps

with one side of the car in sand, one end of the car in sand, and all of the car in sand, and the A8 outlaunches anything. Also did the same thing on a plastic surface that was wetted down with copious amounts of soap and water.

After all, BMW tweaks cars for testing, and they also install bald tires on Audis in traction comparo testing. If you have a link, I would love to see it.

Here's the thread I think you are referencing, and theBrit has it right.

https://forums.audiworld.com/a8d3/msgs/33157.phtml<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-FLbgL7KKQ">real world</a></li></ul>
Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts
Default damn, can't watch the vid at work. I'll have to see if I can find that video for you. But I agree,

quattro is one of the best systems out there for awd, no question!

Quick Reply: Does having ESP off essentially mean the Quattro is off??