A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

drivers seat leather cracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and Pete that sh$% about the seats coming from another planet is hilarious lol
Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 918 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by guinn10
50k + and you would expect the seats to hold up whether or not it's leather or vinyl or whatever it may be.
I agree 100%.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stinkyjones
Penny pinching? Guilty as charged. Bought mine CPO as well. Someone else took the huge depreciation hit. I call it being frugal.

To me, it's just a car. It's how I get to and from work. It's not the means to compensate for a woefully inadequate sex organ that it is for others.

All of the Audi literature says "leather seating surfaces," not "partial leather seating surfaces." Car salespeople lie to make sales. I would never trust what the salesperson says. Now, apparently, I cannot trust the manufacturer either.

My wife's X3 (CPO as well . . . oh, the horror of driving a car someone else drove) has nicer seats than this car. And at least they have the ***** to call their base seats (leatherette).

--Scott

Yeah, what he said. All of it.

spot on.

well... my A6 is a bit more than "just" a car... it's a nice little indulgence for me to enjoy... a reward for my hard work that has resulted in some level of success. Oh, and it makes my 100 minute commute - each way - far more enjoyable than driving it in, say, a Hyundai.

Although that Genesis is pretty nice....
Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by guinn10
obviously anyone buying an a6 isn't going to be a penny pincher. 50k + and you would expect the seats to hold up whether or not it's leather or vinyl or whatever it may be. it's not like we are all buying hyundais or kias. the whole thing is aggravating for the most part. its almost time for me to trade mine in for a new a6 or a8, so i just hope i can fare out with the value. but i am going to try the cleaning solution posted earlier
+1. There's no reason why cars half the price can last twice as long it makes no sense. Is that called getting what you paid for?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
It looks like you did not have a very informative salesperson.
He actually was very informative. He just chose to inform me on things that made me more likely to purchase the vehicle.

Honestly, I don't really care... the seats are fine to me in terms of function and look/feel (they look brand new... I take very good care of them and so did the previous owner apparently).

I just have an overall objection to (a) stupid product development decisions (I work in marketing) and (b) shady representations of products..... from the manufacturer especially. It's a consumer expectation at this price level to have full leather seating... and they certainly play up to that.

And really... how much do they save, in the end, by subbing in the vinyl? Not much really, when you consider the full loaded cost of the material... they have to source the vinyl, qualify it, purchase it, carry two inventories, pay two vendors, etc., etc. The 1/2 or 1 more yard of leather is really nothing much cost wise (even if it does come from the planet Voltron...). I know this as I used to work in the shoe industry and as a result have been in on sourcing decisions on a lot of leather products.

I just don't get decision making like that on a premium brand. On a price brand that needs every penny? sure.

But on an Audi? Why?

Maybe it's because they make killer margin on the seating upgrade option?

I'm sure that's got a little bit to do with it...
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pete_In_NH
He actually was very informative. He just chose to inform me on things that made me more likely to purchase the vehicle.

Honestly, I don't really care... the seats are fine to me in terms of function and look/feel (they look brand new... I take very good care of them and so did the previous owner apparently).

I just have an overall objection to (a) stupid product development decisions (I work in marketing) and (b) shady representations of products..... from the manufacturer especially. It's a consumer expectation at this price level to have full leather seating... and they certainly play up to that.

And really... how much do they save, in the end, by subbing in the vinyl? Not much really, when you consider the full loaded cost of the material... they have to source the vinyl, qualify it, purchase it, carry two inventories, pay two vendors, etc., etc. The 1/2 or 1 more yard of leather is really nothing much cost wise (even if it does come from the planet Voltron...). I know this as I used to work in the shoe industry and as a result have been in on sourcing decisions on a lot of leather products.

I just don't get decision making like that on a premium brand. On a price brand that needs every penny? sure.

But on an Audi? Why?

Maybe it's because they make killer margin on the seating upgrade option?

I'm sure that's got a little bit to do with it...
to put things in perspective a fully spec'd A6 with all the same options will cost almost 2x in Europe what it does here in the US... not to say that that makes it ok to skip out on the full leather... but...

EDIT -- see below (not exactly the same, but almost, give or take an option)

USA spec 4.2

PL spec 4.2

Last edited by jazznuts699; 06-29-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its crazy -- I just noticed a hairline crack down the vinyl drivers side bolster of my wife's 2005 A6 yesterday washing the car (with the standard seats, not the upgraded full leather ones) -- REALLY bummed. these seats have been treated since new, both my wife and I are in shape (not huge or weigh alot)... this is really lame.

We're now thinking of trading this car in. I take very very very good care of it and my other cars hold up way better. It is gorgeous, drives great, but in the last 6 months (just as soon as warranty is done), I've noticed:

1) the vinyl on the leather drivers seat cracking
2) clearcoat on the front bumper AND drivers front left bumper is beginning to flake off. Not a repaint, its factory. Total BS on a 52K 4 year old car.
3) sunroof shade springs have come loose again
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the faaaast depreciation of Audis all reflect to the quality issues represented here on this forum.

Market demand is all based on the quality and longlivity of a vehicle for it's lasting years and Audi definitely is nothing close to being a winner in it's lifespan.

No wonder BMWs and nowadays even Hyundais(speaking exclusively about the Genesis) get a better resale value than the A6.

Audi (or AOA) would never be more than concerned since that has nothing to do with short term new car sales anyway in this kind of recession.

Their interest would be more in providing customers with a newer fancier model to lease and that's it. By the time this comes back as an impact due to a quality issue, Audi will be providing it's customers with a newer model suggesting that all of the quality issues are a thing of the past.

Same cycle is going on the past C5s out there still running on our roads.