A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Driving without key

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cerfsud
It always takes my car two or three presses (and some slight patience) of the under-handle lock button to lock the doors with the car running and the key in my pocket, but it always works. One of my favorite "features" of the advanced key is being able to leave the car running (locked and with peace of mind) when it's extremely cold or hot out while I run inside a store quickly.
I just learned somewhere else here that if you press the econ button while the engine is off, it'll keep the car warm/cool for something like 30 minutes.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why would you leave the car running?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 921 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by landjb4u
I just learned somewhere else here that if you press the econ button while the engine is off, it'll keep the car warm/cool for something like 30 minutes.
Only keeps the car warm, it does not cool the car other than move the air around.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kevagonia
why would you leave the car running?
To keep the AC running so the car is comfortable when you return.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Only keeps the car warm, it does not cool the car other than move the air around.
thanks for that
Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

guess you're not from Memphis
Old 12-24-2010, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by landjb4u
thanks for that
unless for those with the solar sun roof then they get AC to. I never seen one in real life though. It might be one of those Europe only options...
Old 12-25-2010, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by triplecore
unless for those with the solar sun roof then they get AC to. I never seen one in real life though. It might be one of those Europe only options...
I have the solar sunroof (it is a US option) and it does not run the AC. It runs the fans and circulates the air. It does a good job of keeping the interior of the car at the same temperature as the outside air. As a result, in the summer sun if it is 90 outside it is 90 inside, instead of being 140 inside.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I have the solar sunroof (it is a US option) and it does not run the AC. It runs the fans and circulates the air. It does a good job of keeping the interior of the car at the same temperature as the outside air. As a result, in the summer sun if it is 90 outside it is 90 inside, instead of being 140 inside.
+1. The solar roof is great, however, I agree that there should be a safety lockout. I will bet that Audi introduces this with vehicles equipped with the Telematix features via an iPhone/Android app.... It would actually be brilliant if the feature was configurable to safely shut the car down, gradually bring it to a stop if the vehicle is XX feet from the linked iPhone/android device. It is more likely that you'll leave your key in the car than your phone... You should also be able to shut the car down from the app. I wonder what LoJack is going to do when more vehicles start to integrate with their ower's mobile devices, thereby eliminate the need for their service. It's starting to become much more of a realistic option now that data service on mobile networks is so prevalent.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=gkb;24077840]I also find this very silly, but I think it's a safety precaution because sometimes when my battery is dying after a minute of driving it will not recognize the key, so it can't just shut the car down when i'm going 130 on the I95. They should still have some sort of safety shut down method like a 25mph limiter when key is not being recognized by the car (of course only on take off), or even to insert it into the ignition (when your battery is just simply dying)[/QUOT

My thought is to have engine shut down when a gear is selected if the key is not inside.

Quick Reply: Driving without key