A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

DVD/Navigation Install Complete?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD/Navigation Install Complete?

Thanks to all the help from this site, I ordered, received, and installed a DVD/Nav system from Kufatec. But wanted to make a couple of comments about the install process, and ask a question.

I have an '06 A6 3.2, and when installing the the Nav, I didnt have to use the splice-in fiber optic cable Kufatec provided. It seems like an extra DVD/Nav fiber optic line was provided in the factory wiring, and I just had to plug it into the unit. There is also another extra "6 pin connector" in the factory wiring, but I did use the Kufatec supplied wiring for the "six-pin" splitter (mostly because I was worried it wouldnt work if I used the factory wire - Does anyone know if that extra 6-pin cable in the factory wiring would have worked?). The power wire was easy, but when the instructions say, pull up on the rear trunk cover, you really have to pull hard, and straight up. There are four spring clips and guides (in addition to the two plastic bolts) that hold that cover in place. Everything else was relatively easy.

The CAN gateway needs to be recoded at address 19. The instructions say, "Change Bit 5 of Byte 5 to 1". I have never recoded a car. What does this mean? Do I have to take it to a dealer? Are there any other resources that can help me?

Everything seems to work ok, but the Navigation is not activated. I am asumming this has to do with the recoding. Is this right? Thanks for your help!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: DVD/Navigation Install Complete?

i think you will need vag com for that, or try to change it from your MMI ,press return and setup togather for 5 seconds , a screen will pop on, it will list the diveces in the MOST loop, scroll down to the nav box and see your options.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Re: DVD/Navigation Install Complete?

Turns out my car was set up for satellite radio, but not a DVD/Nav system. Both supplied antenna leads (already wired in the car) are for the satellite radio box.

I ended up using the gps antenna puck provided by Kufatec, and the system now works just fine. I took my car to the local dealer, and they activated the Nav there, but I think all that did was activate the screen in between the speedo and tach for nav instructions.

I did some more investigating, and it turns out when you get a car that has XM capability (and the shark fin) but no GPS, and want to have a stock look (no visible GPS antenna on the back sill) you have to buy a special GPS antenna that Audi currently doesnt sell. It mounts on the inside of the rear window (at the top right, under the headliner panel.) Then you run the cable down the c-pillar to the infotainment area. The parts guy at my dealer can show it to me on his computer, but there is no part # associated with it. Great, a lot of good that does me.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default GPS antenna part number

The part number I have for the antenna is - 8E5 919 889 and
the antenna holder part number is - 8E5 919 909.

Hope this helps.