A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Engine warning light on 2010 A6 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine warning light on 2010 A6 3.0T

Hey guys

I was pulling into the deck at work yesterday and the solid yellow check engine light came on. I only have put on 2000 miles and got this car before Christmas. I was obviously a little irritated that I went from a 2007 Infiniti M35 which never had a problem and now having an issue after such a short time. So I called the Audi dealership when I got off work at 4 and they said to swing by.

The plugged it in and took it back. They said it was an EVAP error that they have seen on a couple of the 3.0T (supercharged) engines, he mentioned either the A5 or Q5, neither of which I thought had the same engine. I was under the impression that only the S4 had a tuned version of the same engine. Anyway, he said they are waiting for a software update and he reset the warning.

He lastly warned that the light may come on again and to not worry unless it's blinking. Am I being a little picky here? I feel that if I just dropped over 50G's for a car that I shouldn't have a yellow light that I have to ignore.

What do you guys think?

Raj
Old 02-16-2010, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, Raj, this must be your 1st German cars Check engine lights are quite common in German cars, if its a known problem, just wait for the Audi software update.
If you get this worked up everytime you see a check engine light on your Audi, your blood pressure will go thru the roof
Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rajiv365
Hey guys

I was pulling into the deck at work yesterday and the solid yellow check engine light came on. I only have put on 2000 miles and got this car before Christmas. I was obviously a little irritated that I went from a 2007 Infiniti M35 which never had a problem and now having an issue after such a short time. So I called the Audi dealership when I got off work at 4 and they said to swing by.

The plugged it in and took it back. They said it was an EVAP error that they have seen on a couple of the 3.0T (supercharged) engines, he mentioned either the A5 or Q5, neither of which I thought had the same engine. I was under the impression that only the S4 had a tuned version of the same engine. Anyway, he said they are waiting for a software update and he reset the warning.

He lastly warned that the light may come on again and to not worry unless it's blinking. Am I being a little picky here? I feel that if I just dropped over 50G's for a car that I shouldn't have a yellow light that I have to ignore.

What do you guys think?

Raj
I'll trade my 05 3.2 for your 3.0T any time you want. Seriously, it is a new engine and there will be many updates to work through. Think about Microsoft, how many versions of Windows have they released? How many "patches" have they done.

If it is in the shop for extended time, I would be upset. But after owning 2 Audi's, I accept that sometimes you need to suffer to really appreciate what you have.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raj the big difference between Infiniti and Audi is that Audi engeneers and innovates while the Japanese companies paly it safe for the most part. Your 3.5 V6 motor is the same as I had in my 2001 Pathfinder just with different gearing. So in the 6 years of having that engine...which was just a stroked 3.0 V6 that they had from back in the late 80s or early 90s. That gave them plenty of time to work out the bugs...and kept playing the game of If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So they just do the same thing over and over and over and over..... Where as the European companies such as Audi constantly take the cars to the next level. Think about the A6 2.7t. That was a V6 twin turbo and was utilized all that way back in 99, then they came up with the 3.2 and 2.0T FSI motors. Now you have a car with a high efficience, high compression, high output cars with a brand new direct injected engine. Then the raise the bar once again by throwing a supercharger into the combo and bumping the output again. All in the time that Infiniti did the exact same thing they have been doing for decades. Then when you take into account that the M and the A6 are pretty close to each other pricewise....Kinda lets you know just what kind of a value you really have in the A6. Even if it does have a few glitches. Being the "pointman" (military term) puts you first in line to face the pitfalls.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:11 PM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would be annoyed but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised. Sounds like a very minor annoyance at least. That supercharged 3.0 has only been around for a year (not sure in the UK though).
Old 02-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

got the same car/engine but so far no problems keeping my fingers crossed; on the bright side, i leased it lol
Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can be irritating ... I agree

Yeah, you should not have a warning light for the engine for 2000 miles.

My 2006 Audi A6 Avant has never had any problem with the lights on the dashboard.

My 2007 BMW coupe though has an irritating winter audio snow warning that's standard - ding! The sound warning sometime startles me.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I'll be the dissenter here...

You're not being too picky. You should be upset. You shouldn't accept warning lights on any new car. Whether you paid $25,000 or $250,000.

I agree that Audi tends to use more technology in their cars than some competitors but that's not a license to sell crap.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I guess I'll be the dissenter here...

You're not being too picky. You should be upset. You shouldn't accept warning lights on any new car. Whether you paid $25,000 or $250,000.

I agree that Audi tends to use more technology in their cars than some competitors but that's not a license to sell crap.
Lol, a engine light that warns you about something that’s not that important does not make a car crap The Japanese cars simple do not check for as many things as the Europeans cars with its diagnostic, that’s why they have less check engine lights.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 AM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you check out the Ferrari and Lambo forums, those cars are not exactly problem free and they cost a bit more than $50k.

Quick Reply: Engine warning light on 2010 A6 3.0T