A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Engine warning light on 2010 A6 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lol, a engine light that warns you about something that’s not that important does not make a car crap The Japanese cars simple do not check for as many things as the Europeans cars with its diagnostic, that’s why they have less check engine lights.
And you're basing your generalization that Japanese cars don't have similar diagnostics as German cars on what exactly? I'd appreciate the data to back that up.

To my point, I did not intend to infer that Audi's are crap. Point of fact, I'm about to spend a lot of money buying one.

However, I stand behind the point that one shouldn't accept CEL's in brand new cars. I don't care if they're the cheapest Hyundai or the most expensive Maybach... accepting CEL's because a car is technologically advanced is silly.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
And you're basing your generalization that Japanese cars don't have similar diagnostics as German cars on what exactly? I'd appreciate the data to back that up.

To my point, I did not intend to infer that Audi's are crap. Point of fact, I'm about to spend a lot of money buying one.

However, I stand behind the point that one shouldn't accept CEL's in brand new cars. I don't care if they're the cheapest Hyundai or the most expensive Maybach... accepting CEL's because a car is technologically advanced is silly.
Agreed. I understand cars have problems. If I got a CEL, which I have, I would say no biggie as long as it gets taken care of. I wouldn't like being told to "ignore it for now."
Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take the CEL engine light over what Toyota owners are going through right now!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have them give you a printout of the diagnostics if it repeats..the 3.0 is not really a new design, it's the very reliable 3.2 that was strengthened for the supercharger so what it lost in miniscule size it gained everywhere else performance-wise. Chances are is a very minor issue but it needs to be corrected if it hasn't been. A CEL means something so unless it's fixed how would you know if you had a real issue..ask them that.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa

I can tell you that my old Supra use to misfire like crazy and there was never an engine light and my Audi can throw a CEL for misfiring and I wont even feel any misfiring at all. There is no industrial standards as far as what condition and level should throw a code, if you think all diagnostic programs are the same, you are living in a dream world. I run a very expensive computerize network system where I work and it throws out error codes every 5 minutes, but it is just to let me know that there is possibly something wrong with the system. There are different level of error code just like in our Audi. If the CEL started blinking or some other light comes on with the CEL, then one should worry. I can go into the program of my work computer and change the setpoint as to when the alarm goes off, or delete the alarm altogether. If Audi would have done that to your car, would you think that your Audi is now a more relaible car?

Last edited by The G Man; 02-18-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Changing the setpoint would just be a bandage, my feeling is that it is set there for a reason. I'm very happy with the car, I guess my question is should I be worried about this.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it yet, it is a small issue that hopefully will be resolved quickly.
I have a 2005, this is the first model year of the C6 and have had a few small issues but never have had a CEL come on.

The Infiniti is a great car but don't give up on the A6.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rajiv365
Changing the setpoint would just be a bandage, my feeling is that it is set there for a reason. I'm very happy with the car, I guess my question is should I be worried about this.
If the CEL is not blinking and the dealer already know the problem and siad its ok to drive then I would not worry about it. If your dealer is telling you that its is a gasoline vapor evaporating system error code, then it may be a leak in the system or you didnt tighten up the gas cap enough. Make sure you tighten the gas cap until it clicks 3 times. If the CEL keep coming back on, bring it to another dealer while the CEL is still on. Good Luck

Last edited by The G Man; 02-18-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2010 A6 3.0T with 3500 miles. Engine light came on today. Ran the VAG, error code 001109 - P0455 EVAP System: Large leak detected. Possible cause loose gas cap.
I will swing by the dealer tomorrow.
Interesting thought is that I had filled it up the day before, parked it. When I went to start it today, the error light showed up.
While I agree that having error lights come on in a 2 month old car is annoying, having the VAG does provide a high degree of comfort. Invest in one if you dont have one.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amikep1@verizon.net
I have a 2010 A6 3.0T with 3500 miles. Engine light came on today. Ran the VAG, error code 001109 - P0455 EVAP System: Large leak detected. Possible cause loose gas cap.
I will swing by the dealer tomorrow.
Interesting thought is that I had filled it up the day before, parked it. When I went to start it today, the error light showed up.
While I agree that having error lights come on in a 2 month old car is annoying, having the VAG does provide a high degree of comfort. Invest in one if you dont have one.
Please keep us posted on what the dealer finds on this. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine warning light on 2010 A6 3.0T