A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

feel a clunk when you give it gas quickly

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feel a clunk when you give it gas quickly

I have 2 things wrong

one is when you give it gas like just give it a quick tap it clunks.. I would say engine mount. There are 2 correct? how do you figure out which one it is? how hard are they to change?

2nd. when you go over a bump or whole the front right corner clunks. sounds like the strut... is this a common problem?
does the whole strut need to be replaced? sounds $$$$$$

Thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dont forget that it cold be a few oher susension parts such as ball joints and links that can cause the noise. On my previous car BMW X5, the swa bar end links caused the noise. I'm not sure if our cars have them but I just wanted to let you know that it's not just the strut but if it is they are replaced in pairs.

Originally Posted by wowgogs
I have 2 things wrong

2nd. when you go over a bump or whole the front right corner clunks. sounds like the strut... is this a common problem?
does the whole strut need to be replaced? sounds $$$$$$

Thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok sounds like you have had some problems i have just recently fixed....

Clunk when you give it gas on mine was the passenger side engine mount
$200 part
$300 labor

The clunk from the suspension is more than likely the upper control arms
4x 159.95
plus 3 hrs labor to install

hope this helps
Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong.. But I followed these forums since I bought my A6 in july of 2009.. Now I'm having the same problem with the "clunk", "thump" or however you want to describe it.. Audi had my car for nearly a week, last week just to say that they couldnt duplicate the problem... They say they "readapted" the transmission but I still feel the same thing.. You are right, it feels exactly like a bad mount. But according to previous posts the transmission computer needs to be flashed and the transmission needs to be flushed to solve the problem.

But this runs around $600. I took it to a transmission shop before I went to the dealer. They felt the problem so I can't understand why 3 different guys at the dealership couldn't feel it. The transmission shop said they will service the transmission by draining the fluid and adding more. But they wont perform a full flush because flushing the transmission will create other problems is many cases. So for a little over $100 I can get that done.. So I believe that's what I will try first..

Oh yeah the technician at the the dealership said that they are aware of a problem similar to mine but it ONLY happens in the front wheel drive A6's not the quatro models.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jibril_s
. Audi had my car for nearly a week, last week just to say that they couldnt duplicate the problem....
Duplicate the problem with the actual tech who will work on the problem in the car, it's hard for them to not find it then... especially if it's obvious.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wowgogs
I have 2 things wrong

one is when you give it gas like just give it a quick tap it clunks.. I would say engine mount. There are 2 correct? how do you figure out which one it is? how hard are they to change?

Thanks
Most likely the engine mounts. It depends on your mileage and driving style. If you accelerate more agressively, they wear out more qickly. Changed my mounts (which were shot) after 6 years.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so I took the car in today for a wheel alignment and tire repair.
There was a recall on the coil overs.
So they fixed everything up and when I got it it was a new car. Drove totally different.
The engine mount problem was gone it started and runs way smoother!!! It is great. It was all because of misfiring. Who would of thought it could make it feel so rough...