A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Finally finished the initial "couple of weeks" work

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Finally finished the initial "couple of weeks" work

Yesterday, I wrapped up my initial "to do" list on my A6.
So, I've done the initial oil change, rotated the tires, put on new front pads, lubed the front end joints, repaired the worn spot on the driver's seat. Got Bentley, ELSA, & the VCDS system loaded onto the Dell VM laptop, & did the initial scans.
I've, also, got a good set of protective floor & trunk mats, summer sheepskin covers for the front "ebony" seats, & a few other "trinkets".
It just took two months!
Still have a long-term "to do" list to pick off. But, now, I know what I've got to work with.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool.

But pics would have made this little story a lot more interesting
Old 04-20-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa
Yesterday, I wrapped up my initial "to do" list on my A6.
So, I've done the initial oil change, rotated the tires, put on new front pads, lubed the front end joints, repaired the worn spot on the driver's seat. Got Bentley, ELSA, & the VCDS system loaded onto the Dell VM laptop, & did the initial scans.
I've, also, got a good set of protective floor & trunk mats, summer sheepskin covers for the front "ebony" seats, & a few other "trinkets".
It just took two months!
Still have a long-term "to do" list to pick off. But, now, I know what I've got to work with.
wow that took awhile...wait till you start doing some more intense work on the car

Most of what you've done is general maintenance items, now you'll have things like: tensioners, diff, crank case fluid change, tranny filter/fluid, struts/coils, control arms and bushings...the list never stops
Old 04-20-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

They're just about all on my list. Setting up the laptop was probably the biggest hold up. I went cheap on it. Reloaded Dell XP laptop, from eBay, & emanualsonline.com for most software.
Like most things in life: good, cheap, quick,...pick two!
I'made wired for good & cheap. So, quick typically falls by the wayside.
Trans oil & filter change is next, followed by upper tensioners.
Tires, shocks & fat rear sway bar top my updates list too.
As they say, "The key is progress, not perfection."!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa
They're just about all on my list. Setting up the laptop was probably the biggest hold up. I went cheap on it. Reloaded Dell XP laptop, from eBay, & emanualsonline.com for most software.
Like most things in life: good, cheap, quick,...pick two!
I'made wired for good & cheap. So, quick typically falls by the wayside.
Trans oil & filter change is next, followed by upper tensioners.
Tires, shocks & fat rear sway bar top my updates list too.
As they say, "The key is progress, not perfection."!
Same here. I prefer to have it cheap and good, so fast usually gets left. But there are occasions where I have to go with leaving one of the other two. I allow myself to have MickeyD's every now and then still.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I "studied" the A6 listings on CL, from DC to NYC for about a year, before I bought mine.
Originally, I was "wishing" for a black 2.7t C5 6spd, with a tan interior(non-S line).
Then, I realized I wanted newer technology. The 4.2 C6's were most temping, until I realized that I'd be pulling the engine for any significant service.
Since my goal was the best $6000 sport sedan that I could get, this '06 C6 3.2 can't be beat.
Between this & audizine.com forums, as well as Bentley, ELSA & VCDS that I've loaded onto my $60 eBay Dell laptop , I've been well equipped for the maintenance I need to be doing.
The trans filter/fluid change was anticipated &, even, the probable upper timing chain tensioner replacements were always a consideration too.
So far, I couldn't find a better $6k sport sedan value.