A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

finding a Audi Technician?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finding a Audi Technician?

I live in MA, and I am wondering does anyone know where I can find an Audi Technician who can do some work on the side? Maybe on the weekend. I checked craigslist, but found nothing just some people "specialize in european cars."

Or maybe someone who has installed an AMI in their A6 and knows what they are doing.

I am looking for someone to help me install AMI or Gateway for my iPod. My Audi dealer says its impossible, to do, but I know and we know from this forum its not.

I will pay $100 an hour cash; I feel that is very fair, but I expect the person to know what they are doing and is competent in Audi's and the Fiber optics and Splicing <-this is what scares me the most.

I know this is the write place to ask, but I just don't know where to. I tried different dealers and was quotes from $5,000 to $500 at some sketchy independent shop someone recommend me too. When they didn't know what AMI or MMI it didn't make me feel to encouraged. haha.

So mainly I am looking for a Audi Technician (can prove this), or a 05-07 A6 owners or someone has done a AMI retrofit. I don't think my software needs to be updated, as it was updated last year.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you can do the AMI or Denison install yourself. It is not difficult at all. I did my AMI install in about 45 mins (not inclusing the MMI update.) It was all pretty much plug and play.
Originally Posted by triplecore
I live in MA, and I am wondering does anyone know where I can find an Audi Technician who can do some work on the side? Maybe on the weekend. I checked craigslist, but found nothing just some people "specialize in european cars."

Or maybe someone who has installed an AMI in their A6 and knows what they are doing.

I am looking for someone to help me install AMI or Gateway for my iPod. My Audi dealer says its impossible, to do, but I know and we know from this forum its not.

I will pay $100 an hour cash; I feel that is very fair, but I expect the person to know what they are doing and is competent in Audi's and the Fiber optics and Splicing <-this is what scares me the most.

I know this is the write place to ask, but I just don't know where to. I tried different dealers and was quotes from $5,000 to $500 at some sketchy independent shop someone recommend me too. When they didn't know what AMI or MMI it didn't make me feel to encouraged. haha.

So mainly I am looking for a Audi Technician (can prove this), or a 05-07 A6 owners or someone has done a AMI retrofit. I don't think my software needs to be updated, as it was updated last year.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did the AMI install myself in 15 min. Get the CD Changer keys, snap them in, pull out CD changer, plug AMI into optical, plug power, snap the AMI back into the CD changer slot. You are done.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by h3rmes
Just did the AMI install myself in 15 min. Get the CD Changer keys, snap them in, pull out CD changer, plug AMI into optical, plug power, snap the AMI back into the CD changer slot. You are done.
is it really that easy? So no splicing or taping into a power source. That is what scares me. So just its a plug into the AMI with existing CD player plugs. And if I decide to go back to CD its that same process? like if need to upgrade my mmi?

thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by triplecore
is it really that easy? So no splicing or taping into a power source. That is what scares me. So just its a plug into the AMI with existing CD player plugs. And if I decide to go back to CD its that same process? like if need to upgrade my mmi?

thanks
I picked up the AMI retrofit wire kit for about $185 so that i was able to add the AMI in addition to the CD player. Makes it super easy to add the AMI to the fiberoptic loop and share the power from the CD player.