A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Fog light out warning question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light out warning question.

Last week I installed the S6 LEDs and removed the foglights. Obviously the car would give a bulb out warning. I bought 2 50W resistors and installed them om each side and the car still gives a bulb out warning when I turn the car on but when I turn the foglights on for 5 seconds the warnings go away. Anyone know what the difference is between the check when the car turns on and when the switch is turned on?

Before the LEDs I had the HID fogs and I used a capacitor and I had no problems with the bulb out errors.

I might try installing the capacitor along with the resistor but does anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is just a thought but the car uses 55W bulbs as OEM so maybe you need to add another small 5W resistor to that??

Theoretically the capacitor should fix your problem if you have some lower watt bulb (such as HID - 35W paired with it.) It acts as a signal booster so to speak (in this case, power booster). But if you have nothing connected to it, you would need a cap that can put out 55W of juice to shut up the audi computer warning.

But i am basing this just on theory.

Very curious to see if the resistor will work with the cap as resistors job is only to decrease the power consumption. Regardless you still have to have something(like a bulb or if the cap has some juice in it) drawing power from the circuit... i believe the formula is

P= R * I^2

so if 55W = R *I^2 and R is the OEM(unknown) resistance, then we get an I for the current draw. And the goal is to MATCH the OEM current draw with the new setup. So square root of P(OEM)/R(OEM)= I(current draw)

So final comparison formula is 55W(OEM)/R(OEM which you need to measure) = P(# of watts capacitor compinsates)/R( whatever the 50W resistor OHM load is)

My advice is find out the OEM circuit's resistance, plug it into 55W/X (X being the resitance you get, in ohms), take a square root, and that will be your CURRENT DRAW you need to match with your new setup. Then find out how much power load the capacitor can provide (in watts) and plug it into the formula.

First though let us know if resistor works with the cap as that will close out the issue
Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the capacitor then used the resistor as the fog lights and the error is finally gone. There is likely another small resistor inside of the error eliminator(Capacitor box) and combined with the 50W resistor it drew enough to prevent the error. Thanks for the reply.