A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

folding side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raj99
so did anyone get this to successfully work?

I'd love to be able to code them to have the side mirrors auto fold in on key off position or when car is locked. And do the reverse when car is unlocked
At the very least, it would be nice to allow the fold switch to work when the car is off. Often times, i turn the car off before folding the mirror, and have to put the power back on just to fold them.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one feature my A8 has that I wish the S6 had.... There has to be a way to make it work.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

has to be a relay somewhere.

my 'wish' would be for it to auto-fold when i put the gear in Park, and then unfold when i start the engine.

if it's doable in newer models.. it can be done.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well how do we figure it out?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

Hi guys,

I found the following site and have been attempting to do this on my C6: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Proje...gMirrors4.html

However, I'm trying to long code aspects of module 46 (central convenience) and don't see 'long coding' as an option.

It states I'm supposed to do the following:

Enabling MMI Menu for Folding Mirrors
[46 - Central Conv.]
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 7 Bit -> 7 Change 0 to 1
Or Check the box for "Foldable Mirrors Installed "

I already have folding mirrors, however trying to enable this as part of the un/lock and the coding explicitly walks through long coding.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Still no success?? I have my Vag-Com cable on order in the mail. I will try when it comes in. Surely someone has done this already.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

This is not an easy solution.

I've been trying to find out how to do this and I've come across some 'walls':

There is NO long coding, however if you or someone has a contact @ Rosstech who can confirm if there is a workaround for this...that would be a win

We need some sort of relay to 'trip' the actual close/opening. There's been some threads on the VW forums about doing this via the door lock relay.

I'm still hoping for someway to do this...but not VERY hopeful at this point
Old 10-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No auto fold mechanism on the 2000 A6 Quattro, brought to mind a couple hours ago when I parked on the street to run some errands. Came back to the car to find the mirror smashed and hanging from one of the heater connectors, and the housing knocked forward.
It was a good thing the housing isn't rigid, as that likely saved the whole thing from being knocked off.
Don't know if it was pure vandalism or a hopelessly inept driver passing by. I can only hope it returned the favor to their own mirror.

Maybe if I took the time to manually fold it in, it may not have happened, but one can only speculate. Really would have like to find out the culprit.

At least it should only need a replacement glass to restore to working order; planning to get a simple generic glass instead of the autodimming one which had already started turning blotchy. Maybe the miscreant did me a favor, as I was considering replacing the glass anyway to restore a clear view.

On the power mirror subject, I also had the snapped power mirror switch stalk issue, which I actually went and repaired by drilling out the center of the stub and threading in a metal stem, should prove much more durable than Audi's original plastic design. Can't figure out why they thought plastic for cost cutting would be a good idea for that type of setup. ebay apparently shows that the number of broken Audi mirror switches makes it worthwhile coming up with replacement switch clones.
So if you have a busted switch from the flimsy stalk snapping off at the base, hang on it and just repair it, pretty easy process.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audia6s
I think folding mirrors is the coolest thing since sliced bread lol

I drove few time in Paris where everything is so tight and you have to parallel-park and without folding mirrors someone on the moped will snap the mirrors off.
Yeah, I was in France this summer and I used the folding mirror option. Even used it once on a very narrow country road so that I could clear oncoming traffic. I got the hint when the guy coming at me folded his mirror in and we passed each other very slowly. LOL.