A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Folks sorry this my sound silly...but

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folks sorry this my sound silly...but

I suspect my TPMS to have be disabled by the dealer... Why? - Because the 1st time I picked up my car the tpms light was ON, the dude told me to give him like 30 min, he came back and the light was gone. Now, twice I have added pressure to my tires without any warnings- I can only see 2 options when I switch to the tpms screen in the MMI screen - reset tire pressure & change tires (something like that) two sentences no graphics?

I'm not familiar with tpms at all so I don't know how a working menu should really look like, Any one with screen shots of how a tpms menu in a 2007 A6 looks like? your thoughts will be greatly appreciated
Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I also only have those two options.. no graphics. I was told that TPMS light comes up only after the pressure drops below a certain value (like 6 psi or something)- and that you can set that using the VAG-COM (or dealer tools).

Originally Posted by RydeOdie
I suspect my TPMS to have be disabled by the dealer... Why? - Because the 1st time I picked up my car the tpms light was ON, the dude told me to give him like 30 min, he came back and the light was gone. Now, twice I have added pressure to my tires without any warnings- I can only see 2 options when I switch to the tpms screen in the MMI screen - reset tire pressure & change tires (something like that) two sentences no graphics?

I'm not familiar with tpms at all so I don't know how a working menu should really look like, Any one with screen shots of how a tpms menu in a 2007 A6 looks like? your thoughts will be greatly appreciated
Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, your tire pressure was low without a TPMS warning? Try taking the air out of the tires with the car on to see if it lights up. (make sure you are close to a working air hose) If it comes on then its ok, if not maybe someone switched the sensors before you got your car and they never calibrated it for the car.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JP2422
So, your tire pressure was low without a TPMS warning? Try taking the air out of the tires with the car on to see if it lights up. (make sure you are close to a working air hose) If it comes on then its ok, if not maybe someone switched the sensors before you got your car and they never calibrated it for the car.
JP2422,
That may not work. The tires need to be rotating above a certain speed for the sensors to be activated. They don't constantly transmit the tire pressure, the batteries wouldn't last that long if they did. They send out a signal at certain intervals when they are rotating. I know this because I tried they same thing when I thought the dealer deactivated mine and got no response when bled off all the air in one tire. The system is working because I did get the flat tire light when I had a real flat.

RydeOdie,
You have the correct menu(for the U.S. A6 anyway). I think if they deactivated it you would not have a menu for TPMS at all or it would be grayed out. The warning will not sound until they drop about 6 psi from whatever pressure was originally stored. If a lower pressure was stored, and you typically run a higher pressure then you could loose more than the 6psi and get no warning. You should always check/fill you tires and hit "store current pressure" whey they are cold.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just hit the diagnostic button on the dash, it will let you know if the TPMS is working.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to be too dumb but where are the sensors and do all 06 a6's have them? My car has the prompt on the MM1 but don't know where they are.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The sensor are within the tire, at the other end of the valve stem.

http://powertvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=1748
Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
Not to be too dumb but where are the sensors and do all 06 a6's have them?
In 06 they were standard in the US.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the input guys. much appreciated
Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Were they made available for 05s? My 4.2 doesn't seem to have them.

Quick Reply: Folks sorry this my sound silly...but