A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Found Part Rolling Around In Moonroof Roof Cavity, What Is It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine pop off last year. I could hear it rolling from side to side, front and back. Sounded like a rodent running across inside the headliner. Then one day it stopped and I couldn't hear it anymore. I few days later, I opened up the sunshade while driving and was just about to open the sunroof and this thing fell down from inside and bounced off my shoulder. Not a pleasant experience when your driving. I had it fixed (under warranty) and was told it happens all the time. Some plastic piece snaps off and this comes loose.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the continued information everyone. Since it looks like a simple part to hook on somewhere and I'm out of warranty now, if anyone can help me figure out how to fix it on my own, I'd highly appreciate it!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought I'd bump this. Since it appears that the part just hooks on in two locations, I figured that there must be a way to do this myself. Does anyone know where I could find such instructions? Since people find that it keeps coming off, maybe I could crimp the ends as someone mentioned they might.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are 4 of these springs - a pair on each side (driver and passenger), oriented from front to back. For a good look at them: while sitting inside, pull the sunshade open about half way with the sunroof closed, and put a mirror up against the glass to see between the sunshade and the sunroof glass - you can see the springs on either side.

Based on what I can see and the service manual, it appears that the plastic tabs where the springs hook onto are what's breaking, causing the springs to pop off. To change the plastic tab, the sunroof glass needs to come off to get access to them (based on what I can understand from the service manual) - no other easier way.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, I'll check it out! While it's a bit off topic, what's the best way to get a service manual?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can get an electronic copy directly from Bentley publishers:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/isb...628/index.html

The best price I found was from here:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/audimanuals.htm
Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckee98
You can get an electronic copy directly from Bentley publishers:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/isb...628/index.html

The best price I found was from here:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/audimanuals.htm
Just know ahead of time that they assume your computer's IP address never changes in their licensing, so when it does, you lose your ability to get updates...
Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, I'll post a different topic to avoid derailing this one too!
Old 07-12-2009, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I now have the service manual. Has anyone removed the sunroof before to do this (or any other procedure)? It doesn't sound fun, but the instructions aren't that complicated as far as I can tell. I certainly don't want to screw anything up though.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another C6 here with the spring rolling around in the cavity. It drove me nuts and I was finally successful 'fishing' for it. Thanks for the good explanations. Planning to head to the dealership for fixing.

Quick Reply: Found Part Rolling Around In Moonroof Roof Cavity, What Is It?