A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Found Part Rolling Around In Moonroof Roof Cavity, What Is It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's too bad this is a recurring issue. I wish I knew how hard it is to reattach it, since mine is out of warranty.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh My God,Have the same problem.Please advice,Thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine feel off the other day too.. I opened the sunroof at a stop light and as soon as the light turned green, this thing feel on me. For a second I thought someone threw something in my car.

Anyway, take the car to the dealer last week for this and a couple of other issues. So they say they changed the springs or something when I pick it up. But then when I got the car back, the cloth (inside) piece was sticking about halfway when I tried to open it.. tried it a few times and then the cloth piece smoothen'ed out. But then the next day (today), I opened the sun roof, and it sounded like 'click' 'clack' while opening and was acting jerky, so I close it thinking something is definitely not right here - but when I close it - the click clack continues and the sunroof actually opens all the way though the switch is in the 'closed' position. So I am like this is perfect - I can now show it to the dealership just like the way it is so that there is no issue with the 'Could not duplicate issue'. Couple of minutes into it, I smell burning odor. Not wanting the car to catch on fire, I try and close the sunroof by moving the switch to the middle positions and finally was able to close the sunroof.

Ofcourse, I plan to take the car to the dealer tomorrow. Car now has 49,8xx miles!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would like to get mine fixed. Mine seems to have one of the little hook brackets broken (I think secured by two screws). Does anyone know if this 5 cent piece of plastic might be available as a part? I can't really find those or the springs to buy myself. Any help would greatly be appreciated! Has anyone done it out of warranty, and if so, what was the dealer labor cost? The repair sounds challenging.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's what I need to buy to fix my sunroof, per the previous post. Any ideas what these parts are or how to get them? I own the Bentley manual, but I don't see any part numbers. Thanks for any help!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

IF the parts are plastic, and continually breaking, might be better to form them from some wire or a picture hanger (just a thought)...
Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Here's what I need to buy to fix my sunroof, per the previous post. Any ideas what these parts are or how to get them? I own the Bentley manual, but I don't see any part numbers. Thanks for any help!

Nice diagram.. thanks for providing...copied and saved for future reference

i have the same issue.. i had 2 clips go but luckily the other 2 are holding up and i have not lost any functioning

heres a link CLICK from the other post where i included some detailed pics

like this

of the parts inside the sun roof... hope they r helpful in getting a part #...

I heard it was very difficult to fix this as the roof would have to be removed?

man i would love a step by step DIY for this
Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

YES!!! Same thing happened to me twice! I thought I was on to something, the only correlation I had for a moment is that both times I had just picked up the car from service at a sucky dealer. I thought it was sabotage for a moment. I'm going to look for a moonroof diagram and see what I can find.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A6Nello
YES!!! Same thing happened to me twice! I thought I was on to something, the only correlation I had for a moment is that both times I had just picked up the car from service at a sucky dealer. I thought it was sabotage for a moment. I'm going to look for a moonroof diagram and see what I can find.
Okay, digging further, I now see a TSB on it. Google TSB 2010952/3 and you'll find it. This was released 12/3/2008, but for some reason I can't find it in my service manual. This notes a revised part kit! I hear (from elsewhere on this forum I can no longer find!) that the part kit should be like $50. Anyone have a guess how long a dealer might need to do this?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
Okay, digging further, I now see a TSB on it. Google TSB 2010952/3 and you'll find it. This was released 12/3/2008, but for some reason I can't find it in my service manual. This notes a revised part kit! I hear (from elsewhere on this forum I can no longer find!) that the part kit should be like $50. Anyone have a guess how long a dealer might need to do this?
I'm pretty sure getting the dealer to do it will be astronomical. I just replaced a headlight with my extended warranty to the tune of 1400 bucks (1000 warranty, 400 me). They billed it as a 3+ hour job. I'm assuming from all the reading I've done on the various posts....this will be a 3-5 hour job from their point of view. If you estimate 130 an hour....my wild guess is about $600.

I took a peek using my phone to snap some pics, and I can see that all 4 hooks are gone. all appears to be working fine, aside from my sunroof itself slows quite a bit as it nears close. But I assume that has more to do with the motor gears than the any hooks. I guess I will talk to a service manager and see what they recommend. Ps... coming from a Lexus and an Acura... I'm not very impressed with Audi service so far. Such an awesome car but poor representatives so far it. So if anyone out there can recommend any positive feed on proper service shops in the NJ, NYC area, I'd appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Found Part Rolling Around In Moonroof Roof Cavity, What Is It?