A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Front Brake DIY??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake DIY??

I have the parts for the front brakes (pads and rotors) and I am thinking of doing this tomorrow. Does anyone have any DIY information for replacing the brakes for the C6? How to remove the pad from the caliper etc... and how does the rotor come off.

Any information on replacing the brakes would be appreciated. Thanks!

Found one DIY here: http://www.ehow.com/how_4819517_chan...i-quattro.html

Last edited by am_ver; 09-18-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure I read that (Pierre?) used vag-com to retract the pistons..I think he also posted a how-to but I could'nt find it.. too many messages.
If your going to do this yourself, will you turn the rotors or replace them and what pads did you purchase? Will you alsdo to a flush?
Finally, taking a few pictures as you progress would really help the forum DIY'ers.
meanwhile..I'll keep trying to locate Pierre's message.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As I understand the Vagcom is needed for the rear brakes. For the front, a c-clamp type thing should work.

I bought OEM rotors (replace) from the dealership and akebono ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by mystrodo
I'm sure I read that (Pierre?) used vag-com to retract the pistons..I think he also posted a how-to but I could'nt find it.. too many messages.
If your going to do this yourself, will you turn the rotors or replace them and what pads did you purchase? Will you alsdo to a flush?
Finally, taking a few pictures as you progress would really help the forum DIY'ers.
meanwhile..I'll keep trying to locate Pierre's message.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Were your rotors worn or warped beyond a shaving/turning?
When was the last time you flushed the brakes system, nice fresh fluid is
always good if it doesn't require a damn computer.
Excellent pads BTW..should keep those wheels looking much cleaner.
Let's hope some the of experts get on today to help.. if needed.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, you only need a VAG for the rears. The fronts are just basic as it gets.

To get the caliper off you just need to remove the 2 caliper slider bolts. (They're a #7 hex.) and the retaining spring with a flathead screwdriver. That will allow you to just pull the caliper out. Piece of cake. Then you can just pop the pads out. The piston side is just a 3 prong retainer that goes into the piston itself. Just pull it out. On the other side it just slides over. Very very easy.

to get the rotors off you just have to remove the caliper retaining bolts. Just use a 23mm socket. To get mine out I had to use an impact gun. Once that is off you just have to remove the #15 torx screw from the rotor cap. And you're done. And of course install is the opposite of dissasembly.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ok, I tried to do this, but didn't feel very comfortable with the car jacked up - my fear was the jack failing/slipping and the car coming down on the side that was jacked up. Is just the jack and pieces of wood in front of the remaining 3 tires good enough - no chance of the car crashing down?

I was able to take a picture of the caliper - can someone confirm whether the arrows in the pic pointing to the '2 caliper slider bolts' (7mm hex) and the 'retaining spring' (clip) correct?
Attached Images   

Last edited by am_ver; 09-13-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

High Priority, If for some reason you can't set the parking brake..wedge/chock the wheels on the ground,just putting it in park is not safe, and if you don't have an impact gun, spray those bolts with penetrating oil and let them soak overnight..some of those can almost seem to be welded on..hence securing the car for zero movement.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wanted to add..beg, borrow,buy a set of Jack Stands, it's by far the safest way of holding a car up..even sears has fairly decent and inexpensive ones. You'll use them everytime you crawl under a car.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mystrodo
I wanted to add..beg, borrow,buy a set of Jack Stands, it's by far the safest way of holding a car up..even sears has fairly decent and inexpensive ones. You'll use them everytime you crawl under a car.
2nd! Jack Stands are a must for any DIY'er They will pay for themselves many times over anytime you need access underneath your car.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes that is the retaining spring. But the sliders are a little more central, and most have a little cap covering the head. Besides the things you were pointing to are star heads. Just turn the wheel so you can see more of the rear of the caliper and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also set the parking brake at the very least. But yeah the jackstands and wheel chocks are the best way to do this.

Quick Reply: Front Brake DIY??