A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Gas Mileage on 4.2 Audis?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8TORSADF
Today I saw some other pics of the 4.2 I'm looking at buying and there are a few concerns.

It looks like the rear seat behind the driver might have some stains/marks on the Amaretto leather and there also looks to be fairly large paint marks/scratches in three places on the body. I know I'm buying a used car but I don't want to spend that kind of money for a car that looks beaten up.

To further complicate things, I found a 2007 3.2Q with full s-line Pkg (sport springs, wheels, seats etc.) with Prem and weather Pkgs and Nav with 33K miles for $32.5K. The car looks super clean inside and out. Decisions..decisions. :-)
My advice... keep looking for a 4.2.

So much more fun to drive. Hard to find... but when you find a beauty (like mine... people think it's new and it has 40K miles)... it's a keeper.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an 08 A6 4.2 that I bought used with 8000 miles on it. I carefully follow the fuel mileage using the roadtrip app for Iphone. I averaged almost 27 mpg on my first tank when I drove the car from NJ to NC.

But with my second tank I averaged 14.33 mpg because I was basically hauling *** all over town using the shifter paddles and rarely getting out of 2nd gear. The car sounds so good and the power is so intoxicating I couldn't help it.

Since then I've calmed down (some) and with mixed driving right now I'm averaging 19.15 mpg.

You will regret it for the rest of your life if you get the 3.2.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

lol, to further complicating things, I suggest you save all your money except 21k. A guy i know is selling his 745i with 48k miles 2002, full option except luxury seatin option. He's in NY. I can give you his number. He's also the original owner. That car is great, the A6 is no where close (even though sometimes i make up stupid things to make the A6 better because I own one lol)
Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
lol, to further complicating things, I suggest you save all your money except 21k. A guy i know is selling his 745i with 48k miles 2002, full option except luxury seatin option. He's in NY. I can give you his number. He's also the original owner. That car is great, the A6 is no where close (even though sometimes i make up stupid things to make the A6 better because I own one lol)

BlueSander, I appreciate the offer but I live in Boston so I want AWD and it is only my wife and I and I simply don't need a car that big.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jazznuts699
2nd... autobahns are really no different that interstates (granted they are in 1000 times better shape)... the primary difference is that people on the autobahn know driver etiquette... pppl in the US do not...
When they come up behind you doing 140mph flashing their lights, you get the eff outta the way.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by STussy109
When they come up behind you doing 140mph flashing their lights, you get the eff outta the way.
here the slow person freaks out and causes a 14 car pileup... lol
Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 PM
No Bozos!

Originally Posted by jazznuts699
2nd... autobahns are really no different that interstates (granted they are in 1000 times better shape)... the primary difference is that people on the autobahn know driver etiquette... pppl in the US do not...
Not really. I worked over there for awhile and you see idiots on the Autobahn as well. There is a huge disparity in vehicles too which makes it worse. I was driving a small Hyundai and it was deadly slow. I would try to keep up with traffic, but anythimg much over 80ish and it would just shake violently. Getting out to pass was truly dangerous because the guys with the big steel refuse to slow down at all.

Driving on surface roads is actually much harder over there. They are very impatient and expect everyone to know the local idiosyncrasies of the area. If you don't drive the way they expect you too, they get downright rude. Nevermind driving accoriding to the the posted signs, you drive according to local customs, like it or not.

The Autobahn base road is good, but just like any road, after years of repair, it's no different than any road over here. The oldest sections are much wider than we are used to, but newer sections are pretty much the same as any rural interstate we have over here. And whenever you get into a more populated area there is actually a speed limit contrary to what most people think.

It is no doubt a very fast road though! What is fun is sitting at a rest area and hearing the hp fly by doing God only knows how fast.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

back on topic...

I have been driving ~800 miles/week. 2/3rds interstate, 1/3rd side roads and single lane highway with varying speeds (55-45).

I'm getting 22 MPG. I average 80-85 on the highway and am more behaved on the side roads.

I do tag it at least a few times a day... on ramps are a favorite.

and the occasional passing blast.

I can live with 22 mpg.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Just did a 500 mile trip and averaged 26.1 mpg overall. average speed 70mph with quite a few 90+ passing sprints.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:28 AM
No Bozos!

I had a C5 until the second deer decided to alter the bodywork enough where it was time to retire it. I was debating between the 3.2 and 4.2 myself. By the book there isn't too much difference in mileage so I started driving each to let my seat decide for me. Hands down the 4.2 wins if you let your smile make the decision. That said I was hoping that I would be able to be light footed enough to keep it in the upper end of the stated spectrum of 17-23.

I was pleasantly shocked when I got back to Buffalo from NJ where I picked it(4.2 S-line) up to find out I got 29mpg for the trip. Since then the average has dropped to 26.1 with some mixed driving but a lot of urban driving too. I am overjoyed since it gets a whole lot better mileage than the C5 with the 2.8. And in driving it's not fair to even try and compare the two. At best I got a little over 22 with mostly highway in the C5. With minimal urban driving it would drop down closer to 20 pretty quickly.

From NJ to Buffalo I had the cruise set on 70 and for the most part that's about where I leave it on the highway. Since our State budget has been in shambles the NYS Troopers have been on a cause to raise more money. I'd prefer to hold onto whatever I have left thank you Mr. Governor. Around town I am pretty light footed too. I listen to the motor and try to drive under the point where it starts to growl. Like I said I can still average 26.1 overall which is phenominal! Every so often I do like to have some fun and I still can by behaving the rest of the time.

Go 4.2, it's a must.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage on 4.2 Audis?