A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Going to be way under allowed miles on my lease....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going to be way under allowed miles on my lease....

... new gig, 4 mile commute (in LA!) but now I'm on average to do 8K a year versus the 12K I'm allowed and, ideally, I want to knock my yearly miles allowance down to 10K

Is there any recourse ? I called Audi USA and some rep was like "sorry but you're out of luck" ... this sound right ? Should I ratchet up the complaining ?

Also what about buying the car out in 2011 and the 're-selling' it to the dealer ... any thoughts on this ?

Thanks fellas
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While they *could* change the allowance and associated cost for you ...

Why would they? You signed a contract that said you would pay $X for up to xx,xxx miles, with a separate charge for over miles.

As to buying out the lease and trying to sell it, good luck! The transaction costs alone (tax, ...) will make what you perceive to be extra value a nullity.

So, if you can do 36,000 in three years, but you end up doing 28,000, the car is not worth much more.

Further, the used car market stinks along with the economy.

My dad has a 2007 CLK350 with 2800 miles on it, out of a total of 17000 allowed (lease is up next month). Right now, according to KBB, it is worth 10,000 less than the residual value.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Ouch

One correction though: the transaction cost (tax, specifically) can be zero in CA: if you buy the car from AOA or whoever and re-sell it within 10 days, you don't pay the sales tax twice. Been there before with my previous lease, forgot the details. Anyway, you buy the car and sell it on the spot, only the final owner pays the tax.

Agreed that the market sucks...
Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Ouch

Yeah this is what I thought re: California Sales tax.... but then again if the market is that bad I'm sure the dealer will say "No thanks" to buying my low milage car (even if I lease another Audi ?) and it may be tough to find a private seller...

Also the actual new A6 will be on the showroom so I may just be glad I have the residual value on my old A6 that I have with AoA at that juncture.

Ah luxury cars.. such long term value
Old 03-03-2009, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Ouch

Well have you thought of instead of turning the car in and leasing the next Audi, to just use it as a trade in? Kind of like if you were financing it. Not sure what the buyout would end up being in your particular case, but it's worth a look.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Let your friends borrow the car and literally beat the heck out of it.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Not to be a downer, but he likely doesn't have any equity in the car to put down ...

Plus, if you go into the dealership with the desire for something, they will smell blood.

The dealer will not lose money on a trade in only to give a good deal on the associated sale.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default he's not joking - that's the best way to get "value" out of the car ...

I always say, with a lease, it is better to pay overage miles and pay small wear and tear fees than to turn it in in pristine condition with less miles.

Do the math, the overage miles are cheaper than the included miles.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just a heads up your car is not going to be worth what Audi will charge you for it

It's a bad idea to buy your car. So just scratch that idea from the record. If you really want to know why email me.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

Default Huh? How is letting other people abuse the car and potentially risk damage a good idea?

Unless he's renting it out to his friends, I fail to see how that helps him.

If it's a super low mile car, and the potential exists to sell it for more than his resiudal, than keep the miles low, the condition great, and sell it one month before lease end, or buy it and keep it.

Bruce

Quick Reply: Going to be way under allowed miles on my lease....