A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

H&R Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the camber in the rear. It looks a bit slanted in (second pic from the top). When they re-aligned my car, they let out the camber in the front all the way and adjusted the rear so it was straight. I still have to rotate the tires every 2500 miles so the tires don't wear unevenly in the front. Enjoy the new look and be careful of the potholes!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tturner2b
great look...agree with some other folks that spacers would really complete the picture....
Educate me, what are these Spacers people are talking about?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea it hasnt had an alignment. It goes in tomorrow.

Originally Posted by aceecaus
check the camber in the rear. It looks a bit slanted in (second pic from the top). When they re-aligned my car, they let out the camber in the front all the way and adjusted the rear so it was straight. I still have to rotate the tires every 2500 miles so the tires don't wear unevenly in the front. Enjoy the new look and be careful of the potholes!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Spacers are "disks" of metal that go between your wheel hubs and the wheels themselves, thereby making your wheels stick out farther than without spacers. This is generally a visual improvement, but could also be thought of as a performance improvement as it will effectively lower your center of gravity by making your footprint wider. But mostly it just keeps your wheels and tires from hiding way back in the wells. They are also used to make up the difference in offsets of aftermarket and other non-stock spec wheels.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lowrider!!! Lookin sweeeeeet!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Scooter80 I have to disagree about spacers being an improvement. They are a real hazard in that the car was never designed to have that much length on the wheel bolts and there's a distinct possibility that the bolts will come loose over time. There is also the issue that the whole tire contact patch is moved outward, effectively reducing the spring rate and causing tramlining or pulling to the side when driving over grooved or uneven pavement.
If you want "the look" do it right and get wheels with the correct offset. If you don't care so much for performance and just want to look good, then go for spacers, but please retorque the bolts every week or so.
Just my opinion, I'm sure there's many that feel differently about this.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Longer wheel bolts need to be purchased along with spacers to make sure there are the same amount of threads in the hub as before the spacers
Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skapan
Scooter80 I have to disagree about spacers being an improvement. They are a real hazard in that the car was never designed to have that much length on the wheel bolts and there's a distinct possibility that the bolts will come loose over time. There is also the issue that the whole tire contact patch is moved outward, effectively reducing the spring rate and causing tramlining or pulling to the side when driving over grooved or uneven pavement.
If you want "the look" do it right and get wheels with the correct offset. If you don't care so much for performance and just want to look good, then go for spacers, but please retorque the bolts every week or so.
Just my opinion, I'm sure there's many that feel differently about this.
I agree with you. I didn't put any disclaimers in my post, but there are definitely more efficient and safer ways to improve performance than spacers, but high quality pieces installed properly and checked routinely can improve performance in the twisties as they do widen the footprint. But I certainly agree spacers should mainly be used as cosmetic and wider fitted wheels would be a better performance choice if money isn't a issue. Thanks for bringing in another perspective without flaming!
LOL
Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default S6 with H&R coilovers

Originally Posted by dporschey
My part number is 29201-3 it is specific to the s6. U can go higher than me. I have the threads all the way down in the back about 2 inchs and about half way down in the front maybe 2 1/4 to 2 1/2.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just picked up an S6 with HR coilovers..It's too low for my taste, and upon looking at it, it appeared that there wasn't more room in the threaded shock to raise it higher. It doesn't seem right that this is as high as it gets.
For anyone who has H&R coilovers, do you think there should be more room to raise on my setup?
Otherwise, I may be looking for an S6 stock setup to swap out..
Thanks-
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coils should be adjustable. Take it to a shop that knows H&R. I also have a set of OE S6 springs if you are interested.

Quick Reply: H&R Coilovers