A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

HELP!! CAR WONT START!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! CAR WONT START!!

I tried to leave for work today and my car wouldnt start, my first thought was the battery, so i got a jump start, went into the car settings and it read 100%. Tried a different key, thinking maybe the key was faulted, and that didnt do the trick either. Im hoping its not the alternator but its looking like thats what it is. Any tips?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt trust the battery level on car settings, check the battery itself with a multimeter. The alternator charges the battery when the motor is running, it does not stop a good battery from starting the motor. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default More info needed

Did the starter operate? Did it turn the engine over at a reasonable speed? If you have the interior lights on, what happens to them when you attempt to start the car? (Do they dim slightly, almost go out, etc).

If the car is cranking over normally, then it probably is NOT the battery, but would be something else.

If the car is cranking slowly, then perhaps the battery, but the condition of the lights while cranking would be an indicator of battery health.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ProtoFly
Did the starter operate? Did it turn the engine over at a reasonable speed? If you have the interior lights on, what happens to them when you attempt to start the car? (Do they dim slightly, almost go out, etc).

If the car is cranking over normally, then it probably is NOT the battery, but would be something else.

If the car is cranking slowly, then perhaps the battery, but the condition of the lights while cranking would be an indicator of battery health.
The car isnt turning over at all. As you know, the car unlocks the steering wheel and brake pedal when you insert the key, and makes a click noise. However, when i insert the key, all that happens is the radio comes on, and the lights that show the mileage, time, and odometer. When i turn the key to start it, nothing happens at all
Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My starter failed

At about 1 year of ownership from new my '06 A6 Avant began showing the same problem but if I pressed really hard on the brake pedal it would start. When I brought it to the dealer they could not duplicate the fault. As the service writer was telling me this they brought the car up for me to drive home. I got in the car, which they had turned off, and tried to start it with no response at all. Walking back into the service area I told them what was wrong. If my case they could not even move the car out of Park. They gave me a loaner and called me later saying the starter had failed. Could be you have just experienced the same failure.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by habu
At about 1 year of ownership from new my '06 A6 Avant began showing the same problem but if I pressed really hard on the brake pedal it would start. When I brought it to the dealer they could not duplicate the fault. As the service writer was telling me this they brought the car up for me to drive home. I got in the car, which they had turned off, and tried to start it with no response at all. Walking back into the service area I told them what was wrong. If my case they could not even move the car out of Park. They gave me a loaner and called me later saying the starter had failed. Could be you have just experienced the same failure.
Just got a call from my mechanic. Something about the key modulator system? The whole steering column has to be replaced, $1,700 in labor and parts, just to get it running again.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SOConnell
Just got a call from my mechanic. Something about the key modulator system? The whole steering column has to be replaced, $1,700 in labor and parts, just to get it running again.
Yikes..well it's 2022 now so I'm from the future but there's now a great video on YouTube showing you exactly how to take that column out and correct the board that throwing the error. Total=$0 of you own a screwdriver..just look up Audi will not start and it normally comes up first. It's about a 30min video