A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

home link issues!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home link issues!

My 2006 A6 4.2 Quattro S-Line has an issue with the home link. I bought the car about 2 months ago and I noticed after 2 weeks the home link would go out on me. I would turn the car off then back on and it would work again, but it's gotten to the point where it wouldn't work for a few days then out of nowhere it would work again. When it doesn't work the light wouldn't blink or anything. what can it be, it's kind of annoying to hop out of one car and go into another one to open the garage.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

anyone knows what I can do to fix this issue?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 203 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by joe the god
anyone knows what I can do to fix this issue?
It could be a potential battery issue, can you confirm that your car battery is 'good'? Also, pull logs using your vag-com and post what comes up specific to the homelink

I assume you set it up correctly in the first place and as you stated, it seems to be hit and miss related to working. Which is the worst kind of issue to troubleshoot
Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
It could be a potential battery issue, can you confirm that your car battery is 'good'? Also, pull logs using your vag-com and post what comes up specific to the home link
I really need a vag-com. Right now I cannot purchase the Ross-Tech Set-up, I need to save up for a vacation next month. Is there any other system that I can get for real cheap, at least for now? Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where are you located?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I really need a vag-com. Right now I cannot purchase the Ross-Tech Set-up, I need to save up for a vacation next month. Is there any other system that I can get for real cheap, at least for now? Thanks
You really have 3 choices:

1 - go buy a VCDS, which IMHO should be the 2nd thing anyone buys after they buy their Audi vehicle

2 - go to any decent indy Audi mechanic and they will most likely pull the required logs for you for free

3 - tell us where you are located and there may be someone close by you can buy a drink for while they do the scan for you

Also, as for checking the power on your battery, you should be able to do that without a vag, so that should be where you start from.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You really have 3 choices:

1 - go buy a VCDS, which IMHO should be the 2nd thing anyone buys after they buy their Audi vehicle

2 - go to any decent indy Audi mechanic and they will most likely pull the required logs for you for free

3 - tell us where you are located and there may be someone close by you can buy a drink for while they do the scan for you

Also, as for checking the power on your battery, you should be able to do that without a vag, so that should be where you start from.

I live in Elgin Illinois, I work in schaumburg, and I'm in Chicago a lot.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I live in Elgin Illinois, I work in schaumburg, and I'm in Chicago a lot.
ok good to know....there may be someone on here who's close by. But you still haven't answered one of the first questions I asked: Have you checked out the battery to ensure it is in fact good? If not, go to your local auto shop and many will test it for free.

Also, i'm assuming there a ton of indy Audi shops in your vicinity, have you driven over to one and asked them to scan you car for you via a VCDS?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

ok good to know....there may be someone on here who's close by. But you still haven't answered one of the first questions I asked: Have you checked out the battery to ensure it is in fact good? If not, go to your local auto shop and many will test it for free.

Also, i'm assuming there a ton of indy Audi shops in your vicinity, have you driven over to one and asked them to scan you car for you via a VCDS?
The battery of the car? If so, my car doesn't display the battery at all, when I tried to check in the MMI, it doesn't do anything. I haven't been to a shop yet, I get crazy hours at work, so I really never get the chance to go to a shop.

BTW thanks for all your help I really appreciate your patience.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The battery of the car? If so, my car doesn't display the battery at all, when I tried to check in the MMI, it doesn't do anything. I haven't been to a shop yet, I get crazy hours at work, so I really never get the chance to go to a shop.

BTW thanks for all your help I really appreciate your patience.
go get the CAR battery checked. Don't trust the mmi. they will check the power draw and capacity.

you might have crazy hours but asking folks to attempt to troubleshoot without data and without you having access to tools that allow for troubleshooting is even crazier. if you want to get the home link issue fixed then you'll take the time to listen to the advice here