A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How to get CD text in MMI???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get CD text in MMI???

I played some music cd, and the MMI dont display the music names, Why???

Theres any way to display it?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: How to get CD text in MMI???

There's a post on this further down that I answered. Short answer is that not all CDs are text-encoded. More detailed answer is probably a page or so back.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 PM

You need to burn your own cd. For example, copy an audio cd in Toast (or some other software) with CD Text on, and it looks up the track names on the internet and includes them in the new CD. The new copy will show the text in your car. Most original CDs don't have any text info. You can also name the tracks yourself.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I tried with a burned cd with cd text on and nothing!!!!!!!!

I used easy cd creator 6 and windows media player
Old 12-07-2004, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: How to get CD text in MMI - here's how

The earlier reply from safelder is on the right track. If you use Roxio Easy Media Creator to make a copy of your CD you need to do three things: make sure that you checked the CD Text box and the box that enables audio disc information download and that your computer can go online while using the software. That way the software can access CDDB and download the name of the original CD you are copying as well as the title of each track. Your burned copy will have CD text on it, even though the original CD may not, as well as the time for each track. You can even make a compilation of tracks from several original CDs, all with the correct track names but you should key in a name for the CD. This procedure works best if the source CDs are all originals; it may not always work if you are using burned copies. BTW this works even with Roxio's previous version, Easy CD Creator.

Typically people who burn CDs create labels with all of this information on them; the Roxio software facilitates doing so. However the Audi owner's manual says not to do it since the heat inside the CD changer could cause the labels to make problems. Just use a laundry marker and give the CD a brief name. The CD changer in the Audi apparently stacks the CDs on top of each other. The CD changer in my other car uses a removable cartridge with six individual CD holders, which prevents the CDs from touching each other and thus eliminates the label problem.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't give up

Don't give up. I found that one of my burned CDs that displayed CD text in my hi-fi jukebox did not display it in the car. I had to use the original CD, which did not have CD text on it, to burn another copy (using CDDB to download track and title data). You have to make sure that before burning you actually see the title of each track in the Roxio software. When I tried copying from a previously burned copy that had CD text the Roxio software just said Track 1, etc.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Be sure to create a better title for the CD

Roxio, Sonic, Realplayer, and RecordNow all will burn CD's with text but be sure to change the generic title from "complilaton" or "mix" etc... to something you will remember and better identify the CD contents.

FYI, I've recently burned CD's and the tracks all show up on my MMI (I just forgot to change the cheesy title!).
Old 12-08-2004, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default You can use the MMI to name your CDs

Once you name them with the MMI, the system remembers the titles even if you remove the CD and reinstall it later. You can't name the track titles in this manner, however.

It's kinda a pain, but worth the time IMO if you do it a little at once.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: How to get CD text in MMI - here's how

You do need to watch for label stickers on CDs in a stack-type changer. It's not a cheap repair if the things warp and get stuck!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:20 AM

Default I burn all my audio cd's with Ahead Nero

It automatically adds CD-text, no hassle.

Quick Reply: How to get CD text in MMI???