A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How often do you replace the key fob's battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I just owned an used Audi A6 2.0 TDI (2013) one & i did notice the following issue with the remote key (Key fob)!

Every morning from 10th January, 2016 on wards i am not able to UNLOCK the car with the Remote Key . I have to manually unlock the car with key!. Then, i can still start the car with the "Start/Stop" button & drive. Once i drive to my work. Once, i reach work i am able to lock the car with the remote. Also, when i am start from my work (in evening) i can unlock again with the remote as well as lock the car when i reach home. However in the next morning, the same problem repeats!!

Can you please share your experience/expertise on how to resolve this issue?

Appreciate a lot for your support & earliest response.

Thanks & Regards,

Pradeep
Old 01-13-2016, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Audi A6 TSB List - Check out the ignition & Keys section, see if anything there to help.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

S6 is my daily driver so I use it a lot.

Change batteries every 6 to 8 months.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by enlo
How often are other C6 owners replacing their fob batteries?
With my yearly service.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Advance key!

I just bought 06 Audi a6 couple days ago is has Technology package ,push to start,but when i push the button is saying the key not identity ,also i have to push the remote control to open and close the door,i already changed the battery in the key.Whats the problem the key?or other thing?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2016, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Sany80
I just bought 06 Audi a6 couple days ago is has Technology package ,push to start,but when i push the button is saying the key not identity ,also i have to push the remote control to open and close the door,i already changed the battery in the key.Whats the problem the key?or other thing?
Thanks
hmmm...when you push the start button , do you push it hard and hold it? It does require some force and isn't a real soft touch thing.

But before you do anything else, did you replace the batteries with good quality (i.e. energizer, Duracell) batteries? If not, do that first, since I changed batteries once with cheap generic ones and they didn't work at all...even though the battery was new. Lastly read the following TSB: http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Ignition%...n%20switch.pdf and make sure your actual car battery is good and if it's old and not quite holding a charge get it changed.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2006 A6 that I've owned for 6 years and have not changed batteries in either of my two fobs yet
Old 01-20-2016, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
hmmm...when you push the start button , do you push it hard and hold it? It does require some force and isn't a real soft touch thing.

But before you do anything else, did you replace the batteries with good quality (i.e. energizer, Duracell) batteries? If not, do that first, since I changed batteries once with cheap generic ones and they didn't work at all...even though the battery was new. Lastly read the following TSB: http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Ignition%...n%20switch.pdf and make sure your actual car battery is good and if it's old and not quite holding a charge get it changed.
I did with energizer ,i did talk with the previous owner ,he said the chip is broken.How can i buy new chip?I looked in the ebay but didnt find it.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Sany80
I did with energizer ,i did talk with the previous owner ,he said the chip is broken.How can i buy new chip?I looked in the ebay but didnt find it.
The Audi dealer would be a good start. Also, you failed to mention that your mmi is dead, which may be a compounding issue.

When you state your "chip" is broken, what exactly do you mean? Show us a pic.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
The Audi dealer would be a good start. Also, you failed to mention that your mmi is dead, which may be a compounding issue.

When you state your "chip" is broken, what exactly do you mean? Show us a pic.
The mmi interface box is not working, I bought the new one.

The car is working with the key and the remote control. But when I hold the key in my hand I can'topen the door I pull the handle 3 times and nothing. I using the remote control is works. When I hold the key and I push the start button 2 times and press the brake I get the massage, "No key identified".

Quick Reply: How often do you replace the key fob's battery?